5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a believer in Sandboxie

I actually run XP as a VM inside Win7 (Virtualbox) so I'm in a way double sandboxed. Some folk on other forums thinks what I do is overkill, but I can't tell you how many times Sandboxie stopped the drive-bys cold (just delete the sandbox and all is well). I did a search on this forum and only a few times has Sandboxie even been mentioned. I don't run it in 64-bit Win7 since tzuk couldn't guarantee 100% protection like he can with 32-bit XP. I Know many other apps are going on the sandbox wagon, but nothing like having the whole browsing environment sandboxed imo. I use to fix PCs and have seen more then my share of infected systems. I don't believe any Anti-virus/malware program is going to 100% protect you, but so far Sandboxie has stopped a few for me so I was wondering why I don't hear much for Sandboxie or the various other programs (Returnil, Deep Freeze, Forcefield just to name a few others) out there as a viable security system. If I had my way, I would have a program like Sandboxie on every platform; only real way to stop malware imo. Your thoughts?

Thanks
    I think we have had threads on Green Border (absorbed by Google, if I recall correctly) and BufferZone, but I agree that this category of products has not gotten a lot of attention in the Lounge.

Thanks
    I also use Sandboxie when visiting sites that are new to me. I believe Chrome has a sandbox included in the browser. I'm not sure about IE 9RC, but I would think it is being considered.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE8 and IE8, I believe, uses a form of virtualization and so does Vista and Win7. Don't trust it. Not sure about how Chrome's implementation works; time will tell. Been using Sandboxie for nearly 3 years now and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Yes ,I agree with lylejk . I don't trust the "protected mode" of browsers either.
    Just give me Sandboxie - I have been using it for the last 5 yrs and seen it gets better all the time.
    Stumbled onto an older thread in the Sandboxie forums http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3753 where tzuk said in one of his posts:
    Bottom line is that with Sandboxie, you can roam the Web carelessly, you get prompted less for your consent, and everything stays in the sandbox until you recover it.
    To which I add: or until you delete it

For fun I even install malware picked up by the browser just to see what all gets installed and where.
    When I'm done ,a simple delete of the sandbox will get rid of the junk.
    I do the same for more legit programs and if there is no conflict ,I'll reinstall the "normal way.
    If I don't like it while sandboxed ,there is nothing to uninstall or check the Registry for remnants.
    Deleting the contents of the sandbox will take care of all that

Pete