2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble viewing full episodes on abc.com

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if there is a major difference between the player on cbs.com or on abc.com?
    For some reason I can play full episodes of television programs on cbs.com and even on nbc.com with barely a stutter on my 512 kb wireless connection, but when trying to play a full episode of a show on abc.com, the streaming is horrible. I can get bits and pieces, a word or two of dialog at a time, and then buffering will stop for long periods of time, sometimes completely so that a refresh is necessary.
    I have recently found that if I watch the buffer gauge instead of the show, I can get somewhat better results by pausing each time just before the buffer drops to the low end; that is down to two ticks on the gauge. It will then load so I can play another 30 seconds or so before pausing again. Doesn't do much for concentrating on the show, though.
    I was told my drivers may be the issue, but then would cbs.com work either? I know 512 isn't a lot, but better than the dialup connection I had for years. And I was advised not to update my drivers by their tech support. Thanks for any ideas. Judy

Thanks
    Which browser are you using for this? If you right-click the video, often the player will identify itself so you can see whether they are different.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, jscher2000.
    I'm using IE 8, and my Adobe flash is always updated. CBS has cbs Audience Network player and ABC uses Video Platform Player 2.2 version 06000003_15. Adobe Flash is apparently used with both.

Obviously there is some kind of disadvantageous setting in the ABC player. I find the same difficulty in buffering when I switch to my laptop computer as I get on the desktop computer. So something in ABC's player hates my network connection, it seems. Is there a way to search for an update to the ABC player? Might it be out of date? Seems like it worked better than this six months ago or more. I don't see a way to check for an update for it on the web site. Thanks. Judy