Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer / scanner IP address

My HP printer / scanner developed a fault which didn't seem to be clearable. So looked at new printers, read the reviews and decided to look on Ebay for a one-for-one replacement. I got someone else's cast off for 20.

Works fine ... but! It's wired from the wireless router so the family can print; in order to get communication without stripping out HP's software and re-installing, I had to change the printer IP address in the router (last digits from '68' to '72'). No problems there and everyone is happy, except that I cannot get the scanner to communicate. There's a scanner diagnostic utility on the HP website that I've run, but it stalls almost immediately telling me that the scanner isn't on the IP address stored in the PC (registry I guess) which has the last digits '67', and I assume was from the old printer. The utility isn't friendly enough to go and sort this for me.

My question is, will the scanner have a different IP address from the printer itself ? I'm quite happy to search the registry and tweak values, but if I set the scanner IP to the same as the printer section of the machine (..... 72), is that likely to cause a hiccup ?

Thanks
    Rob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What's the model # of the device in question?
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - thanks for answering. It's an HP Photosmart 3210. As an extension question, I'm rather loathe to go down the route of re-installing the software as I'd have to download it from the HP site and it's in the order of 500Mb - I've found that the registry has one entry of the '67' IP address (192.168.1.67); any problems in just changing this and seeing if that solves the problem ?

Rob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Windows?

Have you read Installing ...... Wired instructions here .....
    Use wireless & network

It seems the software for scanning may have to be downloaded.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for giving us the model. As tfspry linked to, I wanted to look at the manual. As I thought, the printer only uses one IP address. So if you can print, the networking piece is working as it should. However, as a first step, I suggest verifying that the network settings on the printer are correct.

Changing registry settings may cause you more headaches. I'm thinking the scanner doesn't work as its suppose to. Connect the printer via USB directly to one of your PCs. If Windows doesn't see it right away and automatically install it, go to Devices & Printers (Win 7), or Printers & Faxes (Win XP) and add it as a local printer. Since you already have the drivers and software installed, that's all you should need to do. Then test all functions. If it works there, then it should work on your home network.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Discovered something this evening that intrigued me - if you dial into the browser the IP address (in my case 192.168.1.72), up pops a page presumably generated by the printer. It has all the printer details on it and includes a Scan function. It scanned a document for me in black and white and then colour so I had control over it, but heaven only knows where the files went and what format they are.

Just to add salt to the irritation of all this lot I went to the HP site to download the 500Mb worth of drivers and associated rubbish programs only to find the site refuses to do the download. A lot of hunting amongst various piles of CD's has at least found the relevant one, so I'll go with that.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Rob