New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Good way to change keyboard layout using "AutoHotkey"

I am in a mixed marriage; one types with the Scholes keyboard layout and the other with the Dvorak layout. We needed a way to switch with one keystroke. Windows requires many clicks to change the default layout, and that change does not change the layout in use in any window already open. Another set of keystrokes changes the layout in one window, but other windows, and even dialog boxes from the same window, revert to the default. (I posted questions on this subject long ago in a thread now closed, but they were uselessly confused because of the above-listed complications.)

A good solution I recently found starts with a facility called AutoHotkey, from http://www.autohotkey.com/ , which seems to have many uses I have not yet discovered, but I made a simple script that remaps the keyboard from Dvorak to Scholes. Thus, Windows always operates in Dvorak, but one shortcut in the Start menu opens that script, whereupon the Scholes layout works instantly and consistently. Closing the script is only slightly more complicated (and it could probably be equally simple if I knew a bit more about AutoHotkey, but the Dvorak user is slightly more tolerant of complication) and restores Dvorak operation equally simply and completely.

Thus far I have noticed no problems from installing AutoHotkey, and look forward to discovering other neat possibilities of it. I am not in any way affiliated with the author(s) or other advocates of AutoHotkey, and am only a happy, new user of it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ron, hello.

I use the "Ctrl-Shift" key combination and it toggles in reverse to change the layout here. It toggles in reverse is the main thing here. If you have not found it, let me know and I will give you the path to set this up.

Be good. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean, thank you for telling me. This is a lifestyle issue, and what is good for one family may not be satisfactory for another. Maybe my family is exceptionally clumsy, but I had to disable Ctrl-Shift, because it kept happening unintentionally. Also, we shift windows a lot, and each new window and dialog box opens with the default in effect, requiring another Ctrl-Shift, which we both find annoying.

Anyone who reads my post should be aware of the alternative you describe. Thank you for ensuring that I am aware of it, and other readers will be grateful too.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ronald, hello.

Yes, your way of using W-7 is not necessarily my way. It is so easy to disregard or not know about the many ways to control one's OS that I felt compelled to mention the Alt-Shift combination, in a friendly gesture. I would not be without it, different strokes !

Have a great day. Jean.