2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alert The URL is not valid and cannot be located

I'm running Firefox 3.6.15 GBT7.1 under Win7 Pro.

For the last couple of days, when I enter a web address, an Alert pops up with a ! in a yellow triangle and the message "The URL is not valid and cannot be located."

When I close the alert, I go to the URL.

Why does this happen and how can I kill it?

Thanks
    Do this:-

Attachment 27647

Now open start menu type cmd right click cmd.exe, run as administrator, type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter, type exit hit enter.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmav View Post
    For the last couple of days, when I enter a web address, an Alert pops up with a ! in a yellow triangle and the message "The URL is not valid and cannot be located."
    This occurs when you type or paste a URL into the location bar, but not when clicking links or using bookmarks? There may be a problem with the search settings for the location bar. I'm not sure of the best way to reset that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    This occurs when you type or paste a URL into the location bar, but not when clicking links or using bookmarks? There may be a problem with the search settings for the location bar. I'm not sure of the best way to reset that.
    It could be a faulty link, try this one, http://www.eileenslounge.com/index.php
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher2000: It occurs in all the situations you mention: when type or paste I a URL into the location bar, when I click a link and when I use a bookmark.

I've signed on as Administrator and flushed the DNS cache as roadrunner recommends and will see what happens.

Thanks to both.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmav View Post
    jscher2000: It occurs in all the situations you mention: when type or paste I a URL into the location bar, when I click a link and when I use a bookmark.

I've signed on as Administrator and flushed the DNS cache as roadrunner recommends and will see what happens.
    [next day] Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error messages. I got to Eileen's Lounge fine, with no message, but I'm getting it intermittently when I click a link or click on bookmarks which have worked fine up to a few days ago.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-03-16 at 14:42. Reason: Repaired quote tag.

Thanks
    We should try to rule out a misbehaved add-on. If you can think of anything you installed or updated recently, try disabling it and see whether that helps.

For a more comprehensive approach, you could try a new Firefox profile:
    • First, make a backup of your computer for safekeeping. To back up Firefox, see Backing up your information.
    • Next, create a new (blank) Firefox profile. For more information on how to use the Profile Manager, see: Managing profiles.
    • Assuming that works as desired, but you end up not being able to identify the culprit, you can move key settings like bookmarks from your dysfunctional profile to the new one. For more information, see: Recovering important data from an old profile.

Any luck?