3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't get my cloned "C" drive to start Windows.

I added a new hard drive and partitioned it. I used HawkPE and Ghost 8 to clone C to R. The partition is active. I go back in to Windows in Safe Mode Command Prompt and change R to C and change the boot drive order in the BIOS. When I try to log on to Windows it goes through the Black windows screen OK but when it gets to the blue start up screen it doesn't show a user name to log on. If I go back and change everything to using the original windows install it works correctly.

Did I miss something?

Marc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think this makes a difference but in the BIOS "IDE Channel 1" the drive that I want to boot to is the Slave but I'm using SATA. I didn't think in SATA master and slave mattered.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens if you turn OFF the old drive in your BIOS?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tried that but I changed the BIOS so it wouldn't boot from that drive.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The BIOS doesn't allow me to turn off a drive but I did try changing the cables between the drive that boots and the one that doesn't and not connecting the drive that works and I still have the problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you get to Safe Mode (with old drive disconnected), does new drive automatically show as C: drive?
    Have you tried ......
    Control Panel>User accounts>Change the way users log on or off>Use the Welcome screen?

If that does not work.....
    Have you tried making a clone to the new drive with no other partitions on new drive? You can always repartition later.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried just booting with the new drive, that is taking the cable off the original drive?
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yea Doc tried that last night. It gets to the blue log on screen but there are no profiles to log on to.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that clone is corrupt. I had this happen to me when I upgraded a drive on a laptop a couple of years ago. As much of a pain as it might be, try the clone again.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Try using the disk setup utility that comes with the new hard drive. (ie Max Blast from Maxtor). They should have a disk copy or disk setup utility that will do what you want. If you don't have the vendor CD, you can download it from thier site. You have to have at least one disk installde from a vendor to use it's cloning utility.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have already moved everything to this drive.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you clone you must put the new disk on the same cable as the original disk - take the original disk off the cable. Windows sets information on the registry pointing to the boot disk and it must be the same one as the BIOS sees at boot time.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul the drives are all SATA everything loads till it gets to the blue screen and it stops. I thought with SATA it didn't make any difference where the drive was hooked up. I also changed the boot drive in BIOS and it was the only bootable drive connect to the computer. The old C was not attached.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to use the original SATA cable - assuming the original drive was SATA.
    The alternative is to use one of the commercial backup programs that lets you perform a "bare metal recovery" - Acronis True Image is one possibility, but it's not free.

cheers, Paul