2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reading ".*msg" files

I use OL2000 in place of Groupwise 5.54 at work, and when co-workers send me a forward, OL won't open the forwarded msg, although messages come thru fine. I have to open Word, and then import the attachment as plain text (after saving it off as an msg from within the email). Am I missing the obvious? Why does OL read the message, but choke on the attachment in the same format?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reading ".*msg" files

FWIW, eudora does the same thing on messages inserted or dropped as attachments.

are they just hitting the forward button or are they doing it some other way? (like in outlook you can insert or drag and drop messages)
    if you drop the attachment into your inbox, does it open?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure they're just hitting the "forward" button, and my trying to open them causes Groupwise to attemp to start. After 15 sec or so it gives up, even tho msg is it's own format.

susabelle

Actually, this is an easy fix, but everyone who's sending you mail will have to make this change so it will work right.

In outlook, in your inbox, go to tools, options, and click on the preferences tab. Click on the email options button. Near the bottom of the dialog box, look for the section that says "when forwarding a message" and make sure it says anything but "attach original message." It's sending the "forwards" as "attachments" if this is in place.

See? Easy fix!

-Susabelle

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's weird that groupwise is trying to load. outlook owns the msg format, or should. unless the message is carrying some pointer back that indicates it's a goupwise message. since i don't have a groupwise system to play on, i can't repro your problem. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You described what to do as if they were using OL (I think); will Goupwise allow the same condition to change as well? If so, I don't seem to find it in the menus. I'm 1 of 2 out of 225 renegade enough not to conform to Groupwise, whatever small headaches come with it.
    IN any event thanks for your time.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it may be like AOL and only forward as attachments.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If it behaves like AOL (another Lounger here called it "The World's Biggest Virus"!) then I want no part of being compatible with it!!
    Thanks...

susabelle

I have little to no experience with groupwise. I've used and taught just about everything else, but never that package. However, all email programs are virtually the same, so there may be a way to do it.

However, here is another fix. When you forward mail from Groupwise, before forwarding, select the text of the message and copy it (ctrl + c or whatever method you prefer). Then hit "forward," and ctrl + v to paste the text that you copied into the window. There will still be an attachment, but you won't have to read it, because you've also dropped the text of the email right into the email message itself.

As for AOL, I'm with you on that one. What a mess they've created! AOL - internet for dummies!

-Susabelle

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bill's not the one doing the forwarding. He only gets the mail and can't open it normally.

susabelle

I realize that, but he's the one that can "educate" those sending him the mail. There's no way he's going to be able to magically convert the mail coming in so he can read it, so by going back to the source, he may be able to stop some of the problems.

I've not dealt with groupwise much except for conversions, since it is an obsolete product.

-Susabelle

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

"educating" 250 people because 1 person has a problem using outlook usually results in 250 people telling you to get a "real" program.

The "problem" will be precieved to be with Outlook, not groupwise and they'll wonder why they need to change their habits just for one user. It may very well be on the outlook side, it's possible the computer is not properly configured.

Just taking the time to educate that many is longer than using the current workaround. Half will forget and use their old habit of just forwarding. Little if any time will be saved by having the sender copy and paste than by saving and opening in word on the recieving end. Only the person actually doing it changes.

Finally, groupwise might be obsolute but it's not dead by any means. It's going to be around for years to come.

My new MSDN subscription just arrived, maybe the KB has something. Actually, it has quite a bit. Too bad i didn't think to look yeterday.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q197/6/48.asp

I'm betting is this next one. the message uses a custom groupwise form and it's looking for the form which is why there is a pause of 10-15 sec. The attachment's header code (visible in HEX editor) probably contains a reference for groupwise, so it looks for groupwise.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q240/8/15.asp

susabelle

Well, I'm certainly sorry I tried to help, at this point. I thought the point was to give people suggestions, whic is what I thought I was doing. All you seem to want to do is tear down people's suggestions, so I'll just keep my suggestions to myself in the future.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Helping is good. Giving advice when you don't know the program or understand the problem (beyond typical troubleshooting tips that often apply to a number of situtations) can do more harm than good.

Sometimes asking the right question is enough to guide the person to find the answer on his own, you don't even have to have a clue. I was banking on that working for this problem.

A lot of people come here because too many other sites bad advice. After the first general troubleshooting tip or two, if you don't know the program say so and go on. (Some advice found on the net is so bad it's dangerous, VxD problems is a prime example.)