Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Word headings, multilevel numbering, and TOC

I built a template for a fairly large (170-plus pages) document at work. I'm using Word 2007. The document has several chapters in the main body plus seven appendixes. I used multilevel paragraph numbering in both the main body and the appendixes, and I used Word's built-in headings...all nine of them. Somewhere I'd read advice that said to use those headings, especially in a document that has appendixes. Here's the structure:

Heading 1: "Part One" (level 1)
    Heading 2: "Chapter 1" (level 2)
    Heading 3: Major subheading (not numbered)
    Heading 4: Minor subheading (not numbered)
    Heading 5: [paragraph] "1-1"
    Heading 6: "Appendix A"
    Heading 7: [paragraph] "A-1"
    Heading 8: Major appendix subheading (not numbered)
    Heading 9: Minor appendix subheading (not numbered)

Figure and table captions include the chapter or appendix number: Figure 2-5, table 6-1, figure A-2.

Now it's time to insert the table of contents. The TOC works fine for the main body, but it won't pick up anything from the appendixes. I think I know why: The TOC builder asks me how many levels to show, and I want to see just the first two levels. The appendixes, of course, are down at level 6.

What I don't understand is why I can't insert a table of figures. When I try to insert a table of figures, Word selects the main TOC that I'd already inserted and asks, "Do you want to replace the existing TOC?" (or words to that effect). So I've built big parts of the TOC by hand.

How would you have approached a project like this?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post

Now it's time to insert the table of contents. The TOC works fine for the main body, but it won't pick up anything from the appendixes. I think I know why: The TOC builder asks me how many levels to show, and I want to see just the first two levels. The appendixes, of course, are down at level 6.
    Make a new TOC with the levels you need: References tab > Table of Contents icon > Insert Table of Contents... Make sure the levels to include is set as you want it. Then click the Options button. Across from Heading 6 under "TOC level:" label, type "1". When Word asks if you want to replace the existing TOC, say yes.

When you toggle the field codes for the whole TOC, the code will look like this: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u \t "Heading 6,1" }. Word uses the \t switch to build the TOC using the specified style name (Heading 6); the "1" is the TOC level.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    What I don't understand is why I can't insert a table of figures. When I try to insert a table of figures, Word selects the main TOC that I'd already inserted and asks, "Do you want to replace the existing TOC?" (or words to that effect). So I've built big parts of the TOC by hand.
    Say no. Word will insert the TOF where the cursor is.
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-03-15 at 18:41. Reason: To fix garbled sentence

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Pam. I'll try that when I get back to work tomorrow.