New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Restore function won't turn 'On'

While looking at the system on a friends new computer (Windows 7) I noticed that the Restore function is turned off.
    Trying to turn it 'On' via the Control Panel results in a message box as follows.

There is an unexpected error in the property page:
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is correct.
    (0x8007007B)
    Please close the property page and try again.

Why is it so?
    Any help appreciated thanks,
    TerryS.

Thanks
    I keep System Restore turned off on my machines, but if you want to turn it on, go to System Properties > Advanced system settings > System Protection tab. From that sheet you should be able to configure System Restore (or turn it off).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I also have System Restore turned off, but instead use Images as my backup medium of choice. If you do not create system Images regularly then System Restore is a less than capable alternative (In my humble opinion.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Image backups and System Restore perform two different functions. Image backups give you the capability to completely restore your system (or a particular partition) to a point in time. System Restore is meant to give you a quick way to recover from a problematic update. If, like most users, you have only one partition then an image restore loses all data updates since the backup.

I understand about partitioning. I understand that many of the more experienced users in the Lounge have multiple partitions. MOST normal users do not have multiple partitions so it is important for them to understand the differences. Losing all the data changes since the last image backup could be very important.

Most users should take advantage of both methods. That provides the best coverage for them.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2011-03-15)