Thread: Libraries

Lounger
    Thanks

Libraries

Fred Langa's article on Libraries encouraged me to try and start using Libraries. However, the first thing I ran into was the totally odd assortment of files that popped up when I clicked on Libraries/Documents (not Libraries/Documents/My Documents). Files identified as system files, jpegs, RFO files, on and on. Lots of them. I have no idea where they came from or why. Can I delete them? Can I stop them from being posted to Libraries/Documents?
    As a side question, my uhderstanding is that files posted to Libraries can be deleted without affecting the original file. Is that correct?
    Lastly, the files found listed in the Libraries are all shown to have a file size. But that is the size of the original file, right? Not the size of a duplicate file in Libraries.

As you can see, I am a Newbie to this area of Windows 7.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never understood Microsoft's logic in what they present as default library files. So, yes, you can remove whatever you don't want. But be careful, deleting anything under the library catagories (folders) is deleting the actual file. You can tell because when you right click, if its a Library folder, you will have the option to "Remove Location From Library". Those are safe to remove. If you delete one, its only deleting the pointer to what's in it, not the actual files or folders inside. If all you have is a Delete option, then you'll be deleting the actual folder or file. The Library does not hold copies of the files, but is really just a shortcut to the location. So it shows the actual files and folders its pointing to. So because of this, the file sizes are the correct ones. Does that make sense?
    Chuck

Thanks

Libraries

I've been using libraries for several years, only they're call partitions. I've deleted the default libraries, and I'm working on a way to get rid of "libraries" entirely.

I have a partition with nothing but photos, a partition with nothing but music, my documents are just fine in the Documents folder in my account folder in the Users partition, and when I've finished editing home video, I burn it to DVD.

That's just my 2˘.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows