Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Subject: Migrate Data from Win XP desktop to Win 7 Desktop

My situation: I have a Windows XP desktop with the usual accumulation of programs and data files. I've acquired a Windows 7 desktop that will replace it.

Here's what I want to do: take the hard drive out of the XP system and, using a hard drive dock, connect it as an external hard drive to the Win 7 system. If I do this, will I be able to move files (drag-and-drop/cut-and-paste) from the XP hard drive to the Win 7 system?

It seems obvious, but I've never seen any discussion of using this method to migrate files. Will it work, or am I missing something?

Caveat: my hardware skills are limited, but I can handle dropping the HDD into the dock and plugging cables into obvious connections.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yes. that will work. The only thing you may need to do before the d-n-d is take ownership of the files. Even though you you may use the same account name on the new system Windows will assign a different internal identification. This can cause you to not be able to manipulate the files as you wish.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Um … taking ownership of the files is new to me. How do I do that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You use Windows Explorer. In Windows 7 at the highest level on the drive from which you are copying right click and select Properties. Then click the "Security" tab. In the bottom right click "Advanced". In the result window click "Owner". Click "Edit", select the account you wish to be the owner. Click the checkbox at the bottom "Replace owner on subcontainers...". OK your way out. This will take a while to run.

NOTE: only do this if you are not going to replace the drive in the old PC. If you are going to replace the drive in the old PC, copy the files to one location on the new PC and take ownership.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Compulsive Editor (2011-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, you obviously recognize that I need explicit instructions — I bet you were a teacher in an earlier life (and a good one).

I think of the Lounge People as the EMS crew for my computer. Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure your drive dock can handle the type of hard drive (SATA/PATA) you plan to use.

You could also leave the XP machine as is and network it with the Win 7 machine. Once you get all the files you need from the XP machine, give it to your grandkids !!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    The dock I'm buying (scheduled for delivery tomorrow) says it will handle both. (Thank you for bringing it up — I turned to The Lounge for help telling me which one I have.)

My plan is to keep the XP drive for backup files (having worked with computers since 1961 — first one was an IBM 1401 — I am justifiably paranoid about backup) and turn the rest of it over to a local high school that cannibalizes them, makes new ones from the parts, and turns them over to nonprofits. Great program, great kids!

Thanks again for all your help!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Compulsive Editor View Post
    The dock I'm buying (scheduled for delivery tomorrow) says it will handle both. .........
    I will be looking for a similar dual capable dock. I'd appreciate a post back with how it works for you. Brand and Model?

Thank you

Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a "Sabrent DSH-USB2 Hard Drive Dock - 2.5"/3.5" SATA to USB 2.0, One Touch Backup" now on order from TigerDirect (their item # M501-2500). Reviews are mixed but for the price vs. its potential utility I figured it's worth the risk. I've looked at others but they were pricier and got generally poor reviews. Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks
    I would just use Windows Easy Transfer and save the data file on your old disk. Then install Windows 7, connect the disk dock to the windows 7 system and then run Windows Easy Transfer again to transfer both your data and program configuration information. Then reinstall your apps. This should also take care of any ownership issues.

Jerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Compulsive Editor (2011-03-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny you should say that. I kept breaking out in a cold sweat at the thought of taking the hard drive out of the XP system before I'm sure the Win7 system is ready for work. So this afternoon I bought the Belkin Easy Transfer cable and downloaded Microsoft's instructions on how to do just what you're suggesting. I'll still use the dock eventually — I have several old hard disks that need to be cleaned up so I can reuse them.

Thanks for the suggestion! The Lounge community does a wonderful job looking out for me!

Thanks
    Check out PCMOVER.
    I used that when I upgraded to Windows 7 and it worked flawlessly.
    It's inexpensive and worth using in my opinion...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounger
    Thanks
    PCMover looks like it will solve some problems, but I have a question: will it work with the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable I bought yesterday, or do I need to buy Laplink's own cable?

Thanks
    I'm not sure about the cable.

What I did was use an external drive...
    I used it to move my XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit drive.
    It worked flawlessly.oved all my settings, etc...

You can go to their site and read the manual or email them and ask them.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tfspry View Post
    I will be looking for a similar dual capable dock. I'd appreciate a post back with how it works for you. Brand and Model?

Thank you
    I finally connected the dock (Sabrent SATA 2.5"/3.5" HD to USB 2.0 Docking Station, no model number on device or carton). It lit up and looked like it was active, but when I put in the HDD, nothing happened — system didn't know anything was there. The HDD is a Samsung SP2004C 200GB. The HDD case shows a jumper pin setting but there are no jumpers — I'm in a little over my head here I think. I'd welcome any suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast