Thanks

Question Windows Update from 2 years ago being reissued?

Just this morning I noticed I have a Windows Update notification in my systray - I was concerned since yesterday wasn't Patch Tuesday, and figured this must be a critical update.
    But no - KB971029's description is:

Install this update to restrict AutoRun entries in the AutoPlay dialog to only CD and DVD drives. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

I clicked on the link to MS's website and found that the patch originated in July 2009!!
    This is what it does, according to Microsoft. The part that jumped out at me, at the end, I have highlighted in red. It's not a showstopper, but it is a big change from my perspective.

In Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2003, AutoRun entries were populated for all devices that had mass storage and had a validly formatted AutoRun.inf file in the root directory. This included CDs, DVDs, USB thumb drives, external hard disks, and any volume that exposed itself as mass storage. This update disables AutoRun entries in AutoPlay, and displays only entries that are populated from CD and DVD drives. Effectively, this prevents AutoPlay from working with USB media.

What it seems to be saying is, if I apply the update I will no longer be offered the following when I insert a USB flash drive into my computer:

1) that annoying scan in the upper left of the screen that checks every file on the drive.
    2) the ensuing popup window that provides several choices depending on the drive's contents, such as opening a session of Nero, Adobe Photoshop, Winamp, viewing the files in a folder, or doing nothing.

Frankly, I like that popup (and I usually cancel the preliminary file scan if it doesn't finish before I get the mouse cursor up there) - so I'll be ignoring this patch.

**Disclaimer: I may have gotten this because my current Windows XP installation is relatively fresh - but the Microsoft article was updated just a week ago, so I doubt that is the case.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    Are you sure this offer came from MS and not a malicious site looking like MS. I would check that very closely before downloading anything from the site.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I believe that Microsoft changed the "importance" of the patch. Autoplay has become a favored way to distribute malware. Many people just routinely click on something that pops up. See this blog post, Improvements to Autoplay for Microsoft's reasoning.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Are you sure this offer came from MS and not a malicious site looking like MS. I would check that very closely before downloading anything from the site.
    It appeared in my systray; I have Windows Updates set to notify only, and then I download & install. I always choose the Custom option to see what is being pushed, instead of just installing blindly - what I saw and checked via Microsoft is what appeared in the pre-download description.

If they changed the importance of the patch, then that would explain the original dist. date of July 09 and the latest update being in early March 2011. Thanks, Joe - that is why I asked here.
    Have a cookie -

Don