New Lounger
    Thanks

Best Software Firewall

Hello everyone!

I'm running Windows XP with SP3 and have used ZoneAlarm for my firewall. But now it's up for renewal and I'm wondering if this is the best software firewall out there or is Microsoft Security Essentials just as good? I would hate to pay for something that a free program can do just as well or better.

Your thoughts?

I thank everyone in advance for all responses. Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow!
    Wanda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    MSE is not a firewall. It is an anti-virus and anti-spyware application. If you are running a router with a firewall builtin you could consider using the XP firewall as long as you are running XP SP-3. You could also run the free version of ZA.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I used ZA for quite a while, both in XP and Vista. Then ZA had a few issues and about 3 years ago I went with Online Armor, which looked like to be among the best software firewalls, back then. I have been using a paid version (Online Armor ++) since then, as part of my security apps. I use it while running MSE too, which brings no issues, and OA is rather light on resources.
    I really like OA. It's effective, unintrusive and provides me the possibility to run with another AV app (while using Emsisoft's malware signatures itself), thus allowing me not to put all my "security eggs" in a single app, resulting in additional protection.

They have a free version too.

Thanks
    I use the free version of Online Armor, and have found it to be my favorite XP firewall. It has never caused any negative issues with any of my installed software.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    I use the free version of Online Armor, and have found it to be my favorite XP firewall. It has never caused any negative issues with any of my installed software.
    Is it any good for Win7 H Prem ? I'm currently using built-in FW on my Netbook as my fav FW Outpost won't allow Networking.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Online Armor Free Firewall does support Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. I have only used it on XP, but based on that experience, I would think it to be very reliable in Windows 7. However, I have opted to use the Windows 7 Firewall and have had no problems since Win7 was released October 2009.

Check out the system requirements for Online Armor Free here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Roderunner,

My Online Armor runs fine on 7 x64 and 7 x86 and also on Vista x86 and XP SP3. I run a paid version, but the difference between the free and paid is only in features. It's a personal choice, of course, but I install Online Armor on all my PCs and will keep doing so.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Hi Roderunner,

Online Armor Free Firewall does support Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. I have only used it on XP, but based on that experience, I would think it to be very reliable in Windows 7. However, I have opted to use the Windows 7 Firewall and have had no problems since Win7 was released October 2009.

Check out the system requirements for Online Armor Free here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Roderunner,

My Online Armor runs fine on 7 x64 and 7 x86 and also on Vista x86 and XP SP3. I run a paid version, but the difference between the free and paid is only in features. It's a personal choice, of course, but I install Online Armor on all my PCs and will keep doing so.
    Thanks rui + Gerald, will give it a run later. But will do an Acronis 2010 System Image beforehand.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!