New Lounger
    Thanks

closing documents and being asked to save changes (Word 2000 SR-1)

<P ID="del"><FONT SIZE=-1>Post deleted by Toles</FONT>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: closing documents and being asked to save changes (Word 2000 SR-1)

Hi Jan:
    Many possible things...among them:
    Opening a document does not update all fields in the main body of the document. Opening a document updates the fields in the header and footer of the document, with a few exceptions.

When you open a document in print layout view, the document is automatically repaginated. As a result, all fields that are updated at repagination are updated when you open the document in print layout view.

In addition, when you open a document in print layout view, the TIME and DATE fields in the main body of the document are updated. Also, the TIME, DATE, and PAGE fields in the header and footer of the document are updated.

I should mention that I've noticed that when such fields update, undo is not activated & I'm not prompted to save changes. There are some fields that update & I am asked to save changes...but I haven't kept track which.

Another possibility is that an AutoOpen macro runs, which makes changes. Some add-ins also cause this. So far, none of the above are really a concern. However, you could also have a virus which makes a change, & that could be serious. You should check your hard drive regularly with an up-to-date virus checker.

Hope this helps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW, I've noticed that opening and printing a document without making any other changes can cause Word to do that ...
    Beryl M

Thanks

In my experience that's usually as Phil says when there's some field that will have updated when you print (it may have 'updated' to say the same as it did before, though) for instance something like the print date or file name, in a footer.

Ian