Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 sp1 x64 won't install

Hi All:

I have installed SP1 (X86) on my desktop and all went flawlessly. I am presently trying to install the SP1 (X64) on my laptop which is a a Sony Vaio. The Windows 7 X64 came pre-installed. I have religiously installed the updates which showed up periodically and have kept my system clean as possible from malware and viruses etc. Initially when I tried to install SP1 via the update, it progressed about 75% in and then "Failed." I then ran malwarebytes and disabled MS Security Essentials and OnlineArmor prior to re-trying. This time the installation completely installed abeit very slowly from about the 70% mark on. After install I was presented with the "Restart" button which I initiated. The system then started configuring the Service Pack and at the normal 30% mark, shutdown occurred. At restart, the system continued the configuring albeit slowly from once again the 70% mark. At completion I received this message: "Failure Configuring Service Pack" "Reverting Changes" "DO NOT SHUT OFF COMPUTER."
    Once the system was finished reverting the changes from the service pack, I restarted the system without any problems however, I cannot understand what is going on here. Why will SP1 not install and configure properly? I would like to have this up to date and then install IE9. Can anyone shed light on this subject. Help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Gus P

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would suggest that you download the complete service pack from MS, and then install it from your hard drive. Click on that link, and after your installation of Windows 7 has been validated, you'll want to select this download: windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BBearen. I don't know if it'll make any difference but I'm going to try it as you say. Will let you know.
    Gus P

Thanks
    I agree with BBearen. Had to help a relative install SP1 X64 and that's the only way I was able to do it. For some reason the 64 bit version is much more problamatical than the 32 bit version.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Read the documentation for Sp-1 and make sure you have all the pre-requisite patches installed. See Steps to follow before installing SP-1 & Troubleshooting SP-1 installation problems.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks All. I tried as BBearen said and re-installation ended in Failure and reverting again. I will now try as Joe mentions and make sure all patches are installed etc. then try again. The trilogy continues.
    Gus P

Thanks
    I have 2 Sony VAIO laptops, one with Win 7 Ultimate and one with Win 7 HP (both have 64 Bit versions installed). Both have generic Win 7 rather than Sony branded Win 7 OS's (I did not want all the Sony extra junk on them). I upgraded the Ultimate with the downloaded file mentioned by bbearren, whereas I used Windows Update for the HP edition. Both installed marvelously and are running very well with no complaints so far. I suspect there may be something installed that is interfereing with your installation. I would also shut down your AV app while installing (actually MS suggests shutting down all other apps during the installation.) Good luck with the retry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend with 64 bit system was unable to install SP1 either through Windows Update or downloading the SP1 stand-alone. After trying numerous suggestions he called Microsoft for assistance and suggestions/recommendations. That failed also. I slip-streamed SP1 into his copy of Windows 7 and installed a new system. That was the only thing that worked successfully.

Thanks
    Perhaps rmonroe36 can explain his slipstream method and you will have to do so as well. You must have some kind of hardware or hardware/software interaction thing going on. It sounds like you tried all the obvious things. I guess I can't relate because mine upgraded so easily, both SP1 and IE 9 RTM.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried as Joe mentioned and used the troubleshooting updates (it did find a problem and repaired it/them) , I made sure especially KB976902 was installed and then tried again with the full downloaded update. It did install, albeit quite slowly from about 70% onward and then it configured it although again, slowly from about 70% onward. After a restart, I found that it was very slow to boot and then the cursor was erratic and seemed to freeze (as in a conflict.) My AV and firewall were both disabled. I decided today to uninstall it and reverted back to before the update. Well, there were now problems with that too so, luckily, I had backed up my system to Acronis just prior to attempting this update to SP1 and I simply re-installed my system and have since updated it to the very newest configuration.
    I then wrote to Microsoft Support to report the situation and am awaiting their take on all of this. In my estimation, short of doing a clean install, I will get nowhere unless Microsoft puts out a patch for this Service Pack because I'm sure it is flawed.
    Thank all of you for all your suggestions but I just don't have another day or so to try all this over and over with negative results.
    Gus P

Administrator
    Thanks
    Gus,

Too bad you restored. The slow boot time after an SP1 install is sometimes fixed by rebooting 5 or 6 times.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cafed00d (2011-03-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    The slow boot time after an SP1 install is sometimes fixed by rebooting 5 or 6 times.
    This is something that I did not consider, but it makes sense. It takes a few runs for Windows to cache the DLLs and executables that get updated by SP1, after which the performance should once again be back where it was.

Lounger
    Thanks

Still not installed but will keep trying

Thanks all for the suggestions. Joe, if I ever get this thing installed to the same level, I will try the multi reboot to see if it settles in and reboot time gets better afterward.
    Contacted Microsoft but even though I've tried what they suggested, it's still a no go. All I can do is persevere and hope for a miracle.
    Gus P

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RT7Lite for Slip-Streaming

Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Perhaps rmonroe36 can explain his slipstream method and you will have to do so as well. You must have some kind of hardware or hardware/software interaction thing going on. It sounds like you tried all the obvious things. I guess I can't relate because mine upgraded so easily, both SP1 and IE 9 RTM.
    Sorry for delay in responding to tedshemeyers suggestion that I share method I used for
    slip-streaming Windows 7 with SP1. Site below will assist anyone interested.
    http://www.rt7lite.com/

Sorry, it was tedshemyers!