New Lounger
    Thanks

Software or GPU rendering. Use which????

W7Sp1 HP IE9. I have a choice in Internet Options, Advanced tab: use software rendering or GPU rendering. Right now the box is checked so I'm using software rendering. Which do I want? What criteria should I use in determining this? I'm not into gameing. Everything is working ok. Is this one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things?

Thanks Phil

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You should use GPU rendering, which means your graphics card will be used to render the pages you visit. By using the GPU, pages will be rendered faster than if software is used instead.
    GPU rendering is one of the new features for IE 9, one that can really improve the snapiness of page display. If you have no problems using it, choose that.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-03-16 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You should use GPU rendering, which means your graphics card will be used to render the pages you visit. By using the GPU, pages will be rendered faster than if software is used instead.
    GPU rendering is one of the new features for IE 9, one that can really improve the snapiness of page display. If you have no problems using it, choose that.

P.S.: The box checked means that you are using GPU rendering, actually.
    Are you sure about checking the box?

Accelerated graphics.jpg

It appears to me that if I check the box I would choose Software rendering rather than GPU rendering. I agree that GPU rendering will be faster, especially if you have a decent graphics card .

These 2 articles seem to indicate just the opposite as well: Article 1 and Article 2.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-03-16 at 18:58.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You are right, Ted. I have ended stating the opposite of what I wanted to say, in my P.S. I meant to say that by default GPU rendering was enabled. Will remove the P.S.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-03-16 at 19:33.