New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect to Internet even though modem works

My mom's computer, an 8-yr-old Compaq Presario, quit being able to connect to the internet about a week ago. I connected her modem to my laptop and had no luck, so I contacted ATT. They had me download and install a modem update and I was able to connect with my laptop and her modem. I reconnected her modem to her computer and it still would not connect. Checking some stuff on her computer shows the following: The ipconfig command shows IP address as 0.0.0.0; DHCP is not started and cannot restart, error 1075; Communication Port (Port 1) has yellow exclamation point. According to a Microsoft Support article I have verified Network card is installed correctly and DHCP registry entry is correct. I have also reset the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) with the netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt command. I have also deleted the winsock registry entries and reinstalled them in the case that the winsock entries were corrupt. Finally, I did a System Restore to an earlier date, which seemed to work at first, till Microsoft Essentials detected
    Trojan:Win32/Sirefef.G. I clicked to quarantine it, then it said it needed to reboot computer to finish. After the reboot I was right back where I started. I did a second System Restore from an even earlier date with the same result. A check on MSE site showed this trojan was only published Feb. 15, 2011. What do you think? Try running System Restore from Safe Mode? Run MSE from a disk? Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Russ76, Welcome to the Lounge

System Restore only restores certain system files. it does NOT elliminate nasties hiding in the PC. This is a mistake many people make. For that type of restore you would have needed an Image from before the nasty gained access. Check the various posts in the Security and Backup forum for much info on Images. I would start with MalWareBytes to attempt to get rid of the nasty. A Google search shows various tools and methods of removal.

This appears to be one of the various drive by hijack sites that require human interaction to start. When something unexpected pops up, tell her to not click anywhere in the box (even the X in the upper right hand corner). These have all been reprogrammed to start the infestation. Instead use the Task Manager to end the process, or simply shut the PC down with the window still displayed.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-03-17 at 04:50.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, sir. Actually I forgot to mention it, but MalWareBytes was the first thing I tried, but it said it didn't detect anything.

Thanks
    Hi Russ,

Check out Sophos Anti-Rootkit here. You can download and run SAR to see if it detects any rootkits on your system. Rootkits are good at hiding themselves from antimalware scanners.

Also, the best way to scan for malware is to boot to a CD/DVD containing an antimalware program that can be updated in real time after the boot process. Check this How to Geek tutorial on creating a Kaspersky Rescue Disk. I have used it for the initial cleaning of two computers lately, and have found it effective. How to Geek also has another article on creating the same type of bootable CD using Bitdefender.

Hopefully, running these tools will effectively clean or rule out malware as being an issue in the problem you are experiencing.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-03-17 at 07:36.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Deadeye, I'll give that a shot.