2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2007 Distribute Text

I inadvertantly pressed Ctrl+Shift+J. Took me ages to trace the formatting error, and I cannot find the command anywhere in 2007. It switches off all of the Justification Icons.
    What is the purpose of this formatting, and where does it exist in the commands. Is it only accessable via the short cut keys?
    Mike Mullett

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The command run by Ctrl-shift-J is called DistributePara. This appears to be slightly different to the Ctrl-J command in that the last line of the paragraph also gets justified.

In Word 2010 it doesn't turn off the justification icons. I don't have 2007 loaded so I am not sure whether the command has a button on a ribbon somewhere but it doesn't appear easy to find in Word 2010.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

mikemullett (2011-03-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew, will keep looking for command, but why I'll ever need it I can't think.
    Mike

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It can be useful in book pagination. Word won't allow text to flow past a full-page figure, so you need to break the text, add the full page figure (or table), then continue the copy on the following page. If the body copy is set left, the break and continuation paragraphs look okay, but if the copy is justified, the final line of the breaking paragraph should be fully justified. Hence, Ctrl-Shift-J.

I have also used the function for creating block titles and captions, although such things are probably more esoteric and better done with design SW.

In Word 2010, the command appears in the "All Commands" set as "Distributed" with the function name ParagraphDistributed. Although the tool tip in the Customize dialog shows that it is supposed to be available via "Home tab | Paragraph | Distributed (ParagraphDistributed)", it is not -- and there is no setting for it within the Paragraph dialog.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the useful information Eric. I had no idea why anyone would want to do this full justification but you have explained it very nicely.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia