New Lounger
    Thanks

Display fix for HP Pavillion dv9543cl notebook?

I noticed a month or so ago that the background color displayed when the user login box appears as the computer starts up is what I call 'grey scale' rather than the usual green(ish); when the desktop icons initially appear the background is still 'grey scale', however, within 15 +/- seconds, the usual colors appear. The original graphics are:
    Graphics:
    Generic PnP Monitor @ 1440x900
    256MB GeForce 8600M GS (HP)

The device manager graphics properties do not indicate any problem that I can recognize; a check on the driver indicates/reports it is up-to-date. My suspicion is that some software may be causing a conflict. I routinely use CCleaner, Ashampoo Win Optimizer, and/or jv16 Power Tools to clean up and sort of keep the system optimized; Malware Bytes, AdAware Pro, Avast! antivirus, Sophos rootkit detector and, occasionally, Spybot are employed to deal with malware.

My question is how to try to figure out what to do about my intermittent graphics/display problem without performing a recovery.

Thanks
    Hi wilwon3,

Is your current driver an updated one from Windows Update or is it from HP? If it is a driver updated via Windows Update, then check HP Support for their latest driver.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, your suggestion appears to have provided the solution. Interesting that the HP recommended driver was older; so much for checking on driver update check in device manager!

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back your resolution of the problem. Many times, the newest driver, especially via Windows Update, is not the better choice.