Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening .docx files

My friend runs Win XP and Office 2003. I have installed FileFormatConverter.exe. Whenever he tries to open a .docx file, Internet Explores opens and this error message appears: "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"

He has an updated Bit Defender AV program.

What gives? Why would IE open? Why the error message? And most importantly: How do I solve this?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your friend should install Microsoft's compatibility pack, so Word 97-2330 can open recognize, open, and W2007/10 files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam. The FileFormatConverter.exe is the Microsoft's compatibility pack, The only difference I see is that they have a new version out (37MB) vs the one I have on my PC (25MB). Will download and try the new one.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You didn't say, but I assume that you have W2007 or 2001. So you don't need the compatibility pack on your end. Your friend does. Without it Windows cannot recognize the file format, and Word cannot open it. Have you tried saving your file in the 97-2003 format (.doc) and sending that to your friend?

Pam

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We run similar systems: Win XP and Office 2003. I installed the Microsoft Compatibility Pack and it works fine for me. Installing the same on his PC does not work. I don't understand that. I wonder if he as SP3 and if that is a requirement.
    I have downloaded the 37MB Compatibility Pack and will try that asap.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK so you are saying that you can receive and open .docx files, but your friend can't, even though he/she also has the compatibility pack? But you suspect that it has something to do with the security software the friend is using. I agree with you. If no one else here has any suggestions, you should post your question in one of the other forums.

Pam