New Lounger
    Thanks

Resizing photos for e-mail in XP

Until recently, if i right-clicked on a photo in windows explorer and chose to send it to a mail recipient, i was asked if i wanted to resize the photo. Within the past two weeks, i am no longer given this option and have to use another orogram to resize before emailing (i'm on dial-up which is why i prefer to resize).

Any ideas on how i get the automatic option back?

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you recently installed or uninstalled programs?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

resizing photos for e-mail in xp

Recently had access to high-speed internet while house-sitting for our daughter. Took advantage of this and updated numerous drivers as well as updating many programs to the most current version.

I understand that this may have caused the problem and am looking for a tweak that will enable me to restore the re-sizing function. It's not critical enough for me to go back and restore my system to the way it was before the updating; would just be more convenient if I could get the functionality back.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if Resize Image Files helps.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat462 View Post
    Until recently, if i right-clicked on a photo in windows explorer and chose to send it to a mail recipient, i was asked if i wanted to resize the photo. Within the past two weeks, i am no longer given this option and have to use another orogram to resize before emailing (i'm on dial-up which is why i prefer to resize).
    Any ideas on how i get the automatic option back?
    thanks
    Hi wildcat462, I suggest you download Windows Live Photo Gallery from Windows Live Essentials then set it as default program for your pictures, it does all you want with the click of a button.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, Joe!

Not bad- wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but will come in handy. Was using "Microsoft Picture Manager" when I had to resize a number of pictures for other purposes - your suggestion will definitely save me a step or three!

BTW, while at MS for the power toy, tried doing a search on the resize subject. Found out that in Outlook 2003 (yeah, I'm really a dinosaur) there is an option when inserting files (that are also pictures) to have Outlook resize one or all of them. This will probably be my work-around.

Want to thank you for taking the time to try and help me out. I really appreciate it.

Mike V

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you found something to work for you. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Resize Images

Go to IrfanView.com, download and install the app and the plug-ins. It will allow you to do want you want, plus lots more. And, totally FREE!

Thanks

Cool

Don't ya jus luv FREE stuff? Well, I do!
    I've said it many times about Anti-Malware software, "the best software in the world is FREE!"

Now, apparently I can say it again, about picture editing software. In addition to those program already mentioned, there is one more.
    One day when I was pulling my hair out, trying to do something creative with a picture, my software Guru put me on to "Photo Filtre".
    (no I didn't misspell it....it's from FRANCE).

I use it every day, for doing screen prints, sizing DOWN photos, adding text and/or contrast to old pictures that are faded and things I had never even thought of doing to a photograph. It's most useful if the shortcut to it is put in your Quick Launch Toolbar.

Did I mention, that "Photo Filtre" is FREE?

Just thought I'd mention it.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks

Just My 2 Worth

For quick on the fly resizing, I use IrfanView (I also like its Thumbnailer for batch work). For more extensive editing I find that under 64-bit Windows 7, Paint.NET is an excellent toolbox. But what we wanted here was just to restore the right-click context menu, which one of the updates seems to have broken. That seemed to be best handled by changing the settings within the email client. As I use Eudora OSE (Thunderbird), I cannot advise on MS products.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hope this helps.

I use a small free program on mine which automatically resizes any pic to be emailed to 640x480. It is called "Shrink Fit" and resides in the quick launch tray available for adjustment or other settings.

Charlie R.

Thanks
    My two cents (two bobs) worth
    http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
    The options are complete and absolutely so easy to use.
    Even appends the file name of the resized image with reduction size & works in batch mode.
    Last edited by E_OGRADY; 2011-03-28 at 07:27.