Lounger
    Thanks

Printing web pages in IE9

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have IE9 (windows 7)..but see no icon, nor can I find anything in a drop down menu which allows printing a web page. I could google for an anser, but first, I'm coming here to the experts. Thanks.

Sherm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Use Tools | Print (tools is the little gear on the right) or CTRL+P.

Joe

Thanks
    You can turn on the Command Bar. Right click on a blank portion of the toolbar and put a check mark by Command Bar. The Command Bar includes a printer icon.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the ideas....Ctrl P is cumbersome, creates wasted paper and offers no print preview. As for clicking on the rightmouse button on the commnd bar. Nothing happens. I have never had this issue with any previous versions of IE, and believe me, I have been around the internet since before Al Gore invented it....:-). Still looking for a solution, other than switching to Chrome of Firefox.....

Sherm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    So you don't like CTRL+P.

Did you try Tools | Print?

Did you actually enable the Command Bar? Right click in a blank area to the left of the Home button. Click on "Command Bar" to enable the Command Bar. There is a printer icon on the Command Bar.

Or click a blank area in the top part of IE. Tap the ALT key. That should make the menu bar appear. Under "File" should be the Print Options. If you want the menu bar to appear use the steps in the Command Bar example and select Menu Bar instead of Command Bar.

Joe

Thanks
    No, I said to click in an empty space on the tool bar to open the menu to check the Command Bar.

Command Bar.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally found a solution to my problem and it has nothing to do with the tool or command bars. Rather, I click the Right button on my mouse anwhere within an IE9 page display. that brings a drop down menu which includes the option to print and print view. This does not work in an active pane, i.e. the text box I am using to reply to this thread.

Sherm

Thanks

IE 9 and my particular printer

Last night I made up-to-date images of my OS, Programs and Users partitions and then installed IE 9. I enabled the command bar and got the printer icon and all that works fine. IE 9 does seem a bit more nimble that IE 8, and I could get the layout looking pretty much the way I like, but I did run across one problem.

My printer is an HP Officejet 4500 All-in-one. The software suite for the printer includes HP Smart Web Printing, a feature I've come to really appreciate. It works in some ways like Windows Snipping tool; individual areas of a web page (or pages) can be "clipped", edited for placement in a document, and then printed. One can skip all the ads, etc. and just print the desired content, like this:

SmartWebPrinting.png

I didn't know I liked it until I used it a couple of times, and then I really liked it. I do most of my bill paying and such online, and it's great to print just the receipt with confirmation number without the extra page (or two) of additional offers and other ads. It has a convenient button on the toolbar to let one display or hide the interface.

Unfortunately, it is not compatible with IE 9, and HP does not yet have an update for it that will enable it in IE 9.

So after playing around with IE 9 for a while last night, this morning I restored my partition images, and I'm back with IE 8. I'll wait awhile for HP to put out a compatible update.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How about right-click anywhere on the page and select Print. After using IE 9 for a a little while it seems like they took more that a few UI design concept from Google Chrome. The print mechanism is one. The new tab that displays commonly accessed web pages as thumbnails is another (which is one of my favorite features of Chrome.)