1. New Lounger
    Thanks

IE8 upgrade fails

This is my first time to post a question, but today I couldn't - 'that forum is closed'. I'm trying to upgrade IE7 to IE 8 (prep for IE9 later), but the installation keeps failing. After the endless reboots, I get a message each time saying configuration failed and it is reverting to the old status. What is going on (Vista 32 bit)? Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. New Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade from IE7 to IE8 is failing

I was trying to upgrade IE 7 on Vista 32 bit PC to IE 8 - installation fails after final reboot - configuration not updated properly and it is reverting to prior state. What am I doing wrong?

4. Administrator
    Thanks
    Please do not start multiple threads with the same question.

Why not just install IE9? See How to solve IE9 instllation problems for Vista pre-requisite information.

Joe
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2011-03-17 at 12:15.

5. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the duplicate - it was actually posted to the thread about the new site and I kept getting an error message when I tried to post. I'll be more careful. I'll check out installing IE9 but I have 30 users to support and I need to make sure they can still do their work - hence upgrade to IE 8 first.

6. Administrator
    Thanks
    IE9 is much faster and more secure than IE8.

Are they all using Vista?

Joe

Thanks
    I would also bypass IE 8 and go directly to IE 9. I actually think IE 9 is easier to use in addition to being more secure. The address bar and search bar are combined into one. You can put the tabs on a 2nd line rather than on the address line. You can enable or disable toll bars at the top in each user PC to make the browser customized for each user. This allows users to set up the browser to make it easier for them to use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy