5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Specifying location for IE9 downloads

I have installed IE9 (64 bit) and it works quite well with Win 7. It is much faster than IE8. The one thing I don't quite understand has to do with the downloading of attachments..with IE8 and all previous versions, I could tell it where to put the download - in fact, it asked me to specify where to put the download; however, IE9 does not seem to support this. When I download an attachment, it ends up in my "Download" file and then I have to move it to the folder where I could have put it in the first place under IE8. Is there any way to get IE9 to do this, i.e., ask me where I want to download the file and then allow me to specify the folder where the download is to go. If I can't do this, then it becomes a pain because it means I have to "download" everything twice - the first time when IE9 automatically puts the attachment in the "Downloads" folder, and then a second time when I have to move it to the folder where I would have liked it to go in the first place. Maybe there is a switch or preference to set somewhere and I just haven't found it (?). Any insight that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron_M

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Ron, on the tools menu, click 'view down loads' then on bottom left 'options' will help.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, that is not exactly what I was looking for and maybe IE9 cannot do what IE8 did. The suggestion you have made, and it helps a bit, simply allows me to specify another "Default" location for downloads, whereas IE8 would prompt you and ask you to specify the folder that you wanted the download to be placed in. For example, I get daily stock market newsletters from my broker that I want to put in one folder. I get e-mails with attachments a few times a month having to do with our condo Board of which I am a member and I want those to go to a different folder; I get pictures from my children of their children and I want those to go in a different folder, etc., etc. If Microsoft has omitted this capability from IE9, then they have made a really big mistake in my opinion, because this omission just makes work for those of us who download attachments because we now have to touch them twice to get them to where we want them to be - shame on them (microsoft).

Regards,

Ron_M

Thanks
    Hi Ron, I've never been a fan of IE at anytime, i prefer FF which saves my dl's to the desktop, then I can use or put them where I want without having to look for them.
    Try this trick, make a new folder on your desktop, open Explorer (not IE) then right click the new folder, hold and drag to another location i.e. D: let it go, select move to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Hi Ron,

You can specify where to download files with IE 9. When you click to download and the download manager popup shows up, just click the arrow button to the right of the Save button. That will give you a menu with three options: Save, Save as and Save and Open; choose Save As and you will be given the dialog to choose the save location. This location will be used for your next download, just by clicking Save again, without the need to go through Save as once more.

Thanks
    Hi rui, I think Ron is trying to have different files saved to pre specified locations.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi rui, I think Ron is trying to have different files saved to pre specified locations.
    Hi Roderunner,

Being a regular IE user, I don't think he is asking that. First time I downloaded the IE 9 beta I faced the same issue. I don't want my downloads to go to a pre-specified location automatically, so I want to have the possibility of choosing the destination folder whenever I need to.

I don't know of any browser that does what you said Ron wanted, RR.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ron,

When you start a download click the small arrow next to "Save" and select "Save As". You should be able to choose the download location.

If you want to change you default folder for downloads, open the Downloads dialog in IE Options | View downloads or CTRL+J. Click on "Options" in the lower left. Change the folder and "OK" your way out.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib and joeperez, thanks for the insight. You guys hit the nail on the head and the solution you have pointed out works as required - not as obvious as IE8, but, nevertheless, it is what I was looking for. roderunner and joeperez, thanks for the tip on how to change the default location for downloads - this will work sometimes when I just want the attachment, or whatever, downloaded and don't care where it goes to start with. Probelm solved!

Regards,

Ron_M

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    ruirib and joeperez, thanks for the insight. You guys hit the nail on the head and the solution you have pointed out works as required - not as obvious as IE8, but, nevertheless, it is what I was looking for.
    Ron_M
    Boy, it's not obvious at all! I hope I can remember it the next time!
    Don
    Don
    Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, nVidia 9500 GT, 1230 GB HD