Silver Lounger
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, USA

Access is Denied

Hi All,

I've had Windows 7 for over a year on a new PC.

I understand the concern about security but I seem to be having trouble accessing folders that I'd been able to access in previous OS versions.

For example, I'd like to access my Send To folder for my user account. I can see the shortcut for the folder under my user account (from various places - under Windows\Users, under Users, etc). When I click on the properties, I can see the path for the folder. But the folder does not show where it is supposed to. Moreover, when I click the shortcut, I get a msg saying Acess is Denied.

I must have missed the memo on this. How do I access folders associated with my account for which I'm getting denied. I think I've tried something a couple of months ago involving going into my Admin account and trying to change Permissions, but don't recall anything helping.

Polk County, Florida

SendTo folder

The actual SendTo folder is located in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows \

Where is the Send to folder that is denying you access?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are a number of folders in Vista and Win 7 that are there for old programs that follow the XP folder locations. These shortcuts will redirect those programs to the proper locations. In general, you should use the new locations in Vista & 7. Perhaps the best way to see where those folder redirect you to is to open a command prompt in the parent directory and enter "dir /a". For example, open a command prompt and enter: "dir c:\users\xxx /ah" where xxx is your username. Look for the "<JUNCTION>" entries, the new folder locations are placed in brackets at the end of the line.

There was a post that discussed this topic a while back, but I can't seem to find it. If I do, I will post the link. Found one of them:
    Last edited by cafed00d; 2011-03-19 at 14:33.

California & Arizona
    Access granted:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    @="Take Ownership"
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    @="Take Ownership"
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    Copy and paste the above within the quotes into notepad and save as a .reg file.
    Ensure explorer is set up to view file extentions prior to doing so.
    Run the reg script by clicking on it, this will install.

When you are ready to access the folder in question right click on it and select "take ownership".

All folder edits and changes should be done from within the admin account and not from an inferior one, like a guest or "other user" account.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-03-19 at 14:47.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

fburg (2011-03-19)