Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

google earth installation failure

I have tried several times to install Google Earth on my W7 64bit machine, but it always results in a failure. There are many posts advising you to uninstall a previous version and/or somehow fix Windows Installer. However, I have no previous version installed. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I little more details on what you are seeing, including exact error messages or screen shots showing what you are seeing, would help. BTW, I am running Win 7 64-bit and Google Earth installed, and is working, just fine for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    I have tried several times to install Google Earth on my W7 64bit machine, but it always results in a failure. There are many posts advising you to uninstall a previous version and/or somehow fix Windows Installer. However, I have no previous version installed. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it?
    Hey Chuck,
    Make sure you use the Win 7 64 bit version.
    one site is here: http://www.x64bitdownload.com/downlo...-sfuptqlr.html
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the error message. It occurs when attempting to install Google Earth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Does this posting help?

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Further tries

I now have W7 SP1 installed. I uninstalled everything Google (however, that was only Google chrome), deleted all Google references in my program files, ran Ccleaner on my registry and tried to install Google Earth again but got the same error message.
    Scouring the Internet I found a suggestion to directly download and install googleearthwin.exe. However it pops up with Error 1327.Invalid Drive J:\ I have no idea where it came up with that error as I don't have a drive J.
    This has to be one of the most frustrating things I've ever run into with Windows.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally found the problem and it harks back to a similar one I ran into some time ago and couldn’t resolve. At the time I recall a similar error (invalid drive J:\ChucksData) and I remember searching everywhere including the registry, but could not find any reference to it. I finally ran on to a suggestion in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327763 with advice to search for references to drive J in the several HKEY registry entries.
    HKEY_... \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explore r\User Shell Folders (or Shell Folders) with a key value referencing drive J. I found several under Personal with the key value J:\ChucksData. This has been there since my original installation (why I don’t know). I changed the references to C:\Users\Chuck\Documents and Google Earth installed correctly.