1. Lounger
    Thanks

Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

Was unsure which forum to post this in but as I run Win 7 I thought this would be a start. Is anyone running Secunia (PSI) with Win 7? Any problems with the download? Do you recommend it? Sounds good but thought I would see what other users think before I download.

Thank You
    Glenn

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I have used it. I had no trouble installing it in Windows 7, and it was fairly unobtrusive.

But I didn't really find it all that beneficial, and uninstalled it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I currently have it on my system now and debating whether to keep it.
    I have had no trouble with installation & downloads, but I don't alow it to retain an always on "service" presence.
    The program does a fairly decent job checking and updating common programs, but it's one of those apps where once a month usage
    is all that is needed.

Thanks
    I have both Secunia and FileHippo.com Update Tracker. I think File Hippo has found more updates, and is much faster so I am also debating whether to keep Secunia or not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I use PSI in default mode as it finds update patches, Filhippo Update Checker only finds program updates. I normally run a scan in PSI after installing program updates found by Filehippo.
    George's PC Specs Laptop. Desktop.

7. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is a good program if you are not that vigilant about keeping your PC up to date. I go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/ and http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/calendar.html daily and generally am kept well informed of what I might need to do.

I also would only run it occasionally say weekly and turn off its services or schedule it.

8. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 988 Posts
    I like PSI. Run it on both my computers, even if I find the interface a little flaky and it could be a bit faster. I find it very valuable in informing about your installed programs security issues.

9. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have PSI on my desktop and laptop. I disabled the autorun, though - I prefer to manually run it once a month to see what I need to update. However, I found that while it does monitor a lot of software, it doesn't check for everything. So there are some things that I still have to manually check for updates on (if the software itself doesn't do an autocheck). And then there was the problem with one version of Acrobat Reader reporting the wrong version in one of its DLLs - I could never convince PSI that yes , I had updated Acrobat to the latest version.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    I have PSI on my desktop and laptop. I disabled the autorun, though - I prefer to manually run it once a month to see what I need to update.
    I don't see any sense in having a program and not allowing it to do its work. Unless its to keep the knowledgeable members busy.
    Not every program checks for updates automatically and even those that are designed to, can be blocked by the Firewall, especially software ones.
    My PSI runs quietly in the background, without any CPU usage in 'Task Managers' process tab.
    I also use Filehippo's Update Checker portable version daily.

11. Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks one and all for your input. I downloaded Secunia and scanned revealed 85% secure and after updating the three recommended programs the scan now shows 100%.

Some of you are also using FileHippo along with Secunia PSI. Are two update checkers really better than one?

Thanks Again,,,glenn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAgHunter View Post
    Thanks one and all for your input. I downloaded Secunia and scanned revealed 85% secure and after updating the three recommended programs the scan now shows 100%.
    Some of you are also using FileHippo along with Secunia PSI. Are two update checkers really better than one?
    Thanks Again,,,glenn
    Secunia only updates what's installed and applies patches. Filehippo informs you about new versions including Betas for what's installed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    It is a good program if you are not that vigilant about keeping your PC up to date.
    I totally agree with Idb's statement. I have convinced my young adult children to use PSI on their machines. They would NEVER take the time to keep track of updates on their own, but will run PSI once or twice a month and respond accordingly.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

14. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    >>I disabled the autorun, though
    I don't see any sense in having a program and not allowing it to do its work.
    If I allowed every program that wanted to run at startup do so, it would take forever for my PC to boot and those programs would eat up a significant chunk of memory and use a significant amount of processing power. Thus I run autoruns on a regular basis suppressing programs that do not need to be continually active (this amounts to suppressing about 80% of those programs that insist on being autorun). This usually includes anything that "calls home" to see if there are any updates needed. When I need the capability that the program offers, I run it myself. If I really want to automate it, I schedule it with the Task Scheduler. This way I get all of the benefits without any of the hassles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner
    Unless its [sic] to keep the knowledgeable members busy.
    How about if I promise not to bother the "knowledgeable members" when I run into problems?