3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No HDMI output on Vaio VGN-FZ290 after downgrade from Vista to XP

Hi all,

I recently dumped Vista on my Vaio VGN-FZ290 and after a great deal of effort have got XP up and running. Note that there is NO Sony support for XP on this notebook series. I thought I had all details worked out (no errors in Device Manager) until I went to use the HDMI output.

I can't get the laptop to output anything through the HDMI or S-video connectors. I can do a dual monitor setup and drag the screen over to a TV through the VGA out connector.

The laptop has an N-videa Geforce 8400M GT. I got the driver for XP from the Nvidea site if I remember correctly.

As an aside the only FN key to work is the MUTE key. All other FN keys strokes don't appear to do anything. Perhaps this is a relate issue. I mention this because there is an FN key for shifting between the LCD screen and an external screen.........although I don't know if its through the VGA output or the HDMI or S-video outputs.

Anyone have any insight? I was trying to avoid going back to Vista or upgrading to Windows 7.

Thanks,
    BH

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    I can't get the laptop to output anything through the HDMI or S-video connectors. I can do a dual monitor setup and drag the screen over to a TV through the VGA out connector.
    BH,
    Hello... If you right click on a blank area of your desktop and bring up NVIDIA control panel ...can you configure the "Display" settings? Do you see the TV as another monitor? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The HDMI port is on the MB, and not directly controlled by the video driver. It needs to have a supported chipset to enable the HDMI port, then the video can "see" it and use it. Since Sony isn't supporting it, I'm not sure what other options you'd have. Any reason you don't want Win 7? It's mile above XP, and fixed what was "broken" in Vista. The biggest improvement is that they ripped out the memory management and redesigned it. It's much more efficient than Vista.
    Chuck