3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is the C Prompt in Safe Mode the same as a DOS C prompt?

My floppy drive isn't working and I have a copy of Ghost 11 on a USB stick and I want to run it from there.

Marc

Thanks
    Not really. The so-called DOS prompt that you can get in Windows, allows you to run certain DOS commands, but it's still running within Windows and most DOS programs will Error out, telling you they cannot run from within Windows.

You may not be aware, that there is a version of Ghost 11.5 that actually does run from withing windows and can be run from any media, like a flash drive. It's "Ghost32.exe". It looks and runs exactly like the DOS version and is mouse compatible. I don't use it though, because I don't like running any backup program from within Windows. DOS Rules!

I back up my own system with Ghost 11.5 (required to back up and restore Vista and Win-7, but NOT required for XP)
    run from a bootable Flash Drive. 11.5 is too large to put on a floppy disk along with a mouse driver and DOS boot files, ergo
    using the Flash Drive or even a CD. ( I have Ghost 11.5 set up on both)

Is your Flash Drive bootable? If not, you can move Ghost off of it to your HD, then format the Flash Drive and make it bootable (I have the program that will do that, along with the DOS boot files) and then copy the Ghost.exe file back to the Flash drive. It works best if you create an Autoexec.bat file on the Flash Drive and use it to install 'Mouse.com' so you can run Ghost with your mouse. It's really much easier to use that way.

Let me know in a PM if I can be of help to you setting up that Flash drive.

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor

PS: Please Marc, tell us what computer you're using. It helps us to formulate more intelligent answers.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-03-23 at 10:57.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-03-23)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks and you covered my second question also can I run Ghost from a USB drive.

Thanks
    Yes! As long as you have the Windows version of Ghost on that Flash drive. (Ghost32.exe)

If it's the DOS version, (Ghost.exe) then you need to make that flash drive bootable, to DOS.

good luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!