3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to launch multiple folders simultaneously?

quite simply I was wondering if there's a way or a small program that would allow me to launch a prespecified set of folders. I know with a batch script I can set folders to launch but, they launch one at a time so I'd have to close one to get the other. If I can get this working via batch script (or VBS) that would be best but, I'm also open to small apps (which is why I chose to post in this forum).

The solution: Use AutoIt as it runs multithread (multitask) rather than single thread like batch files do. The code is essentially:
    Run("explorer.exe " & "Path to Folder")
    Run("explorer.exe " & "Path to another Folder")
    The space is important as it equates to the command line parameter (explorer.exe "Path to Folder")

I would've added this info a bit sooner but there was a limit on how long after a post was made one could edit (that limit has since been removed). I still don't see a way to change the title though.

Another method has emerged. Use the start command which opens a second command window. Doing it this way you wouldn't have to install AutoIt but I don't forget to add @echo off or you'll see the command prompt until the window is closed. (not actually tried this method but, it should work).
    Last edited by grnorris; 2011-03-29 at 17:39. Reason: Added Solution
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnorris View Post
    quite simply I was wondering if there's a way or a small program that would allow me to launch a prespecified set of folders.
    grnorris,
    Hello... just thinking ... what if you moved all files into one folder , renamed it and made it an .exe ? you could then place it in "quick launch" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    grnorris,
    Hello... just thinking ... what if you moved all files into one folder , renamed it and made it an .exe ? you could then place it in "quick launch" Regards Fred
    That wouldn't really work. Perhaps an example, I've got games on my computer and I've got faqs and cheats. I keep the faqs and cheats in their own folder where I keep all faqs and cheats for all systems both computer and not. The games obviously have to stay in their respective folders. I need a way to open both and creating a library for each instance would be excessive and utterly clutter my libraries.

Unless you meant something else, I'm not really sure how I'd move all files into one folder and rename to exe to make it work. I also don't know enough about the underlying construction of exe's (I know a lot of data files are actually zip archives with a different extensions).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you mean by "launch a folder", open the folder to view the contents in Windows Explorer?

Or open each file withn each folder?

Or start every executable program within each folder?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Open the folder in Explorer. In the case of my game example above I'd need the games folder to open the game itself (especially with emulators (legal of course) where I have rom associations. I can simply click the rom) and I'd need the Faqs folder to open at the same time. Kind of like a library with both folders but I actually want to open both folders (in separate windows) so I can double click the Rom to open it then alt-tab and open the necessary faqs. Another example might be a common transfer operation. I could open both the origin folder and the folder I'm transferring to. A really common occurrence for me would be between my Download\Updates folder and my Installers folder (yes I do keep a copy of almost every installer I use, makes it a whole heck of a lot easier when I want to configure a new system or fix my own).

I'll also mention my current solution is that when within the library containing both the things I want (For both installers and games I've got a library containing the outermost folders) I control+enter on one of the folders to open it in another window then in the original window navigate to the other folder I want. This is still a fairly long process though.

If you know of a way to open multiple files at once that would also be nice (then I could just have one that opens such and such a rom as well as a certain folder and/or the faqs I use the most).

Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Do you mean by "launch a folder", open the folder to view the contents in Windows Explorer?

Or open each file within each folder?

Or start every executable program within each folder?

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grnorris View Post

Unless you meant something else, I'm not really sure how I'd move all files into one folder and rename to exe to make it work. I also don't know enough about the underlying construction of exe's (I know a lot of data files are actually zip archives with a different extensions).
    grnorris,
    Hello.... check this out it's from giveaway of the day maybe it will help"RoboTask" (only today 3/21) http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ If not post back and we will try to help. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was too late for the giveaway (I'd forgotten about that site, too much general stuff on my machine anyway
    It did however give me the solution. Since a batch script didn't work I used an AutoIt (v3) script. The au3 script just runs through and doesn't wait for task to complete (multithread rather than the batch files standard single thread). So I now have a way, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    grnorris,
    Hello.... check this out it's from giveaway of the day maybe it will help"RoboTask" (only today 3/21) http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ If not post back and we will try to help. Regards Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I've missed something please let me know but a simple batch file sounds like the solution. Use notepad to create the file and make sure to change the file extension to .bat instead of .txt
    On a separate line for each explorer window you want to open, just type: explorer "<folder path>" replacing the <> bit with the full path to the folders you want to open. For example:
    explorer "C:\Program Files (x86)"
    explorer "C:\"

Does that do what you want?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The post right above yours has my solution. As for what your thinking I tried that initially. Windows opens the first window then waits for it to close before opening the next window (this is known as single thread programming). I know of no way to make batch files use multiple threads.

Quote Originally Posted by bemptage View Post
    If I've missed something please let me know but a simple batch file sounds like the solution. Use notepad to create the file and make sure to change the file extension to .bat instead of .txt
    On a separate line for each explorer window you want to open, just type: explorer "<folder path>" replacing the <> bit with the full path to the folders you want to open. For example:
    explorer "C:\Program Files (x86)"
    explorer "C:\"

Does that do what you want?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Check out the "start" command from a command line.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Check out the "start" command from a command line.

Joe
    I see. That would also work though I ended up making my scripts a bit more advanced since I was using AutoIt anyway (After opening all the folders and files I want opened it runs a automation to get me started (auto-starts the game)). I'll add this to the first post though.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You could still use "start" to open the folder and another "start" to begin a program execution.

Joe