Thread: No Sound

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Sound

Twice in the last few days I have completely lost sound. After reading troubleshooting articles I opened Device Manager, then Sound, Video and Game Controllers to find a yellow problem icon beside Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer. Following Advice from the troubleshooting article I uninstalled this and then re-installed it using the Add New Hardware wizard. This seemed to solve the problem, only for me to lose sound again after a couple of days. I went through the whole procedure again and now I have sound once again. Interestingly, Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager no longer lists Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer. What should be causing this to become corrupt and is it normal for Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer not to appear in the list if the sound is working?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you checked all the physical connections inside the case? Also, your sound card could be failing.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I don't feeel confident to go fiddling around inside the case. Is it normal for Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer not to appear in the list if the sound is working?

Thanks
    It would help,IF you can supply more information such as.What type of system you have.Dell,Hp et cetera model number what not.
    Last edited by chowur; 2011-03-22 at 05:02.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a PC manufactured by TLSystems in NZ with 512 MB Ram, a 279GB hard drive and 250GB free space. I am running Windows XP SP3.

Thanks
    Scroll down the bottom of this site then down load the,FREE program;http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html
    This free program will tell you what make your mother board is.Then go to the manufacturing site & down load the latest driver's for the sound chip.From what I've been reading your driver's for the on board sound chip is corrupt.
    Note;Unistall the trouble driver's like before.DO NOT reboot,then install the new driver's.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You say "Unistall the trouble driver's like before." I have not uninstalled drivers before, how do I find it? If you are referring to Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer, as I said it no longer appears in Device Manager now that sound is working OK again now. I have not had a response from joeperez as to whether it is normal for it not to appear except when there is a problem.

Incidentally, I did a Google search on Hwinfo and one of the results included this comment Warning: This windows process has been related to malicious programs such as viruses, spyware, adware, trojans and worms. It is highly recommended that you remove or stop this process running on your computer!

Last edited by philkiwi; 2011-03-23 at 16:40.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post

Incidentally, I did a Google search on Hwinfo and one of the results included this comment Warning: This windows process has been related to malicious programs such as viruses, spyware, adware, trojans and worms. It is highly recommended that you remove or stop this process running on your computer!

I've been running the program in question for around 3 years.My Eset security program never came up with anything like what your saying.
    Of course I'm not a fan of Google search site anyway.lol But each to their own.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your comments regarding the second paragraph in my previous post, which I added as an edit. However, you did not respond to my queries in the first paragraph.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I would expect the Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer to be present. Have you tried forcing XP to search for hardware changes?

However, if your sound is working correctly I'm not sure I'd spend much time trying to figure it out.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried forcing XP to search for hardware changes but Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer still does not appear in Device Manager. However, I accept your suggestion in your second paragraph. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."