Lounger
    Thanks

What is it called when I want to insert text and it automatically updates

Hi

I am putting together an SLA document and want to have a template and then when I input the client's name, it will automatically up date the whole document where I have asked it to (i.e. put [company] in the place I want to update)?

I've done it before but can't figure out how to do it again! Doh!

Thanks

Penny

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use the document property fields to fill in many values at multiple places in your document.

This link How to Insert Document Properties in Word Document shows the steps to putting the information into the document's property fields, then inserting field codes into your document or template to use the values from the property fields.
    PJ in FL

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks PJustice - although I am working from 2003 and I can't follow the instructions. Will this allow me to have a 'master' field which, when updated (i.e. company name change for a new contract) will update all the other instances within the document?

Thanks

Penny

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's actually easier (IMHO) to access the document's properties in Word 2003.

1. Editing the values of the document properties:

Under "File", select "Properties" and the "Document Properties" dialog window pops up. The predefined fields (title, author, company, etc.) are listed under the "Summary" tab. Add or edit values to these "standard" properties, or go the the "Custom" tab and create and edit properties from a larger list of options, or create your own custom properties.

2. Adding the document property fields to your document:

To insert the field into the document, with the insertion point located appropriately, then under "Insert" select "Field". When the "Field" dialog pops up, select "DocProperty" under "Field Names". That will cause the "Property" list to appear. You can then select the property you want to be inserted in the document from the "Property" list.

Formatting can be applied to the individual instances of the property within the document, just as you would with text. Select the property, usually a double click will select the entire field, (it will turn the entire value gray when selected) and add the desired formatting (bold, italics, etc.)

Better instructions for using document properties for Word versions older than 2007 can be found at Inserting Custom Properties with Fields.

HTH
    PJ in FL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyToulson View Post
    Will this allow me to have a 'master' field which, when updated (i.e. company name change for a new contract) will update all the other instances within the document?
    Sorry I skipped this part of your question in my previous reply.

AFAIK, you can insert document property fields anywhere you can add text and they will resolve to the value entered in the Document Properties dialog. This should include areas I would normally use such as body text and headings, headers and footers, references and footnotes, etc.
    PJ in FL

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JP

Thanks so so much for all your help so far - your instructions have been great so thanks for that too!

I have done as you instruct however I can't get all the fields to automatically update if I change the data in Document Properties - am I missing something?

Thanks everso.

Penny

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do they update if you go into Print Preview?
    PJ in FL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Penny
    Try this
    Select all (Ctrl +A)
    Update fields (F9)
    Cheers
    G

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Penny,

I think what you referring to is a simple "Mail Merge".

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear All

Mission accomplished! Thanks for your time and patience. It is appreciated!

Penny