2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading to Win7

Hi to all,
    I am an original subscriber to the Langa List well before it combined with Windows Secrets so I am aware of the excellent information available in this Forum. I have 3 computers - A Dell Inspiron 530 running Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit, A Sony Vaio PCVRS630G running Windows XP, and a Acer Aspire 5312-2698 laptop with Vista Home Premium SP@ 32 bit.
    I just ordered Amazon's "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)" to upgrade the 3 computers but find myself lacking in upgrading skills. I have heard there are many pitfalls, for example concering drivers and other problems.
    My question is of the many Fred's, Woody's, & other articles that have been published in the past, I am looking for recommendations as which ones would benefit me the most and get me started - taking into account my lack of computer expertise.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You need to check the vendors site for each machine to see if there are Windows 7 drivers available for your configuration. You should also download, install, and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.

Be aware, that there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7. That requires a clean install. Most people will recommend a clean install on the Vista machines also but that is not required.

On all three machines be sure to backup anything you consider important before starting the upgrade process. You may want to consider using Windows Easy Transfer to help with XP.

Joe
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2011-03-22 at 12:41.

Thanks
    I installed Win 7 on three PC's, 2 laptops and 1 desktop. All went surprisingly well. A couple of sites to check are as follows:

PC Support on About.com

Windows Seven Forum

Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite

When you perform a clean install, a folder is created on the C Drive called windows.old. This folder contains the entire old OS. You can open the folder and copy data to it's new location in the new OS. As Joe mentions Windows Easy Transfer may be a big help. Either way welcome to the ever expanding Win 7 community. If your experience is anything like mine, you will never go back!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond.
    I am eager but cautious about changing over to Win 7.
    Besides the 3 computers mentioned I also have my Significant Other's Toshiba laptop with WinXP on my wireless network and can't risk the changeover causing a disruption of service or even worse a complete collapse of the network that will bring her business to a halt.
    I will check out the url's you furnished.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Hi GG, I can't vouch for the various makers of your equipment but I managed a Clean install on my Packard Bell Netbook, original OS Vista Home Prem. to Win7 Home Prem. without needing to find any drivers. I have the option to add a Webcam or Card Reader but have no need for them.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using something like Macrium Reflect free edition, make images of your machines before the upgrades. That way if something goes south, you can get back to square one without a lot of trouble.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I think you will find the networking with Win 7 is much easier than XP. Perhaps after you have the 3 Win 7 PC's up and running she may well like it so much better that she will switch over as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    1 Before starting anything, know what bit rate version of the operating system you want: 32 vs 64 bit.
    2 Run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on each computer as recommended by Joe.
    The Windows Upgrade advisor will be very helpfull.
    3 Head over to the manufacturer's site of each of your computers and do a search for the specific drivers
    based on make and model number. Download all applicable drivers to a safe location; CD/DVD/USB/ext drive, partition, or whatever suits you. The time to do this is now, not after installation.
    4 Go over all your most usefull programs in all three of your computers and ensure you have all executable backups to reinstall from. The time to do this is now, not after installation. Ensure all your personal data is safely backed up.
    5 Always perform the format and clean install method.
    6 decide on creating partitions early if you have the hard drive space, and use image based backup and recovery software.

Ensure your personal data is safely backed up.
    Doing three computers will be a laborious task but despite that, don't cut corners.
    Know the hardware specs of your computers prior to begining.
    Ensure your personal data is safely backed up.
    make a list of all your most favorite personalized settings and tweaks, write them down if you need to.
    Remember, Windows 7 isn't Windows XP. Don't expect to be running the operating system as such. Also remember that some of your application that you use in XP will either no longer work or will be outdated. This is not Microsoft's fault...Update them if you can.

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Good list, CLiNT.
    To add my 2c worth, ENSURE YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS SAFELY BACKED UP!
    I use Acronis to take a disk image - it's not free but has been very useful for me.
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'd add be particularly careful with the notebook PCs. Often PC vendors modify OEM drivers for notebooks to "enhance" a particular piece of hardware.

Basic access to the internet should not be an issue for the SO's Toshiba. As long as the SO's Toshiba does not need to access data on the other PCs it should be fine. If it does, you'll just have to double check all the file sharing networking after upgrading. There are quite a few threads in the "Networking" forum about mixed XP & Win7 networks.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all,

A hearty thank you to all that took the time to respond to my inquiry.
    You have provided several great tips and url's for me to follow-up and check out.
    I still want to go through many back issues of Window's Secrets to see what Fred, Woody & others have suggested as I find they generally include tips and fixes not usually found in other publications.
    Thanks again, Respectfully, Graphics Guy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all,

One thing that I am not clear on is "Upgrading" from WinXP to Win7.

I purchased the "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)" from Amazon.com.
    From what I understand - when upgrading from WinXP to Win7 it is best to format the "C" drive first. But if I do, how does this qualify as an upgrade when the former OS (WinXP) is no longer on the hard drive? Will this void the ability to upgrade or is there a work around? I want to remain legal and not have any problems with Microsoft registering the programs. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    I don't think you can upgrade XP to Windows 7.....

What I did was use PC Mover and it did everything for me.
    But, I bought Windows 7 64 bit and installed it on another drive and then used PC Mover to move everything over from Windows XP 32 bit...

You can use PC mover with only one drive..
    It woirks great and moves all your setting, programs etc..

Check it out at on the pcmover site.. http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverpro.html
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can NOT directly upgrade from XP to Win7. You must perform a clean install. Even so, it is still considered an upgrade. You'll be legal. See Upgrade form XP to Win7 & How to upgrade xp to win7.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all,

Thanks to all that read my messages and took the time to supply an answer.
    The computer that is running XP is mainly used as a back-up and doesn't contain anything that isn't also available on one of the other computers, so that is the one I have decided to tackle first. If everything doesn't go smoothly then I haven't lost anything and I will get a chance to see what Win7 looks like and decide if I like it enough to upgrade the two Vista computers. I have used the url's that have been provided and downloaded and printed out the pertinent information so now I need to download and run Microsoft's Windows7 Upgrade advisor to insure that the computer has the requisite capabilities.
    Thanks again! Respectfully, Graphics Guy