New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Trying again, I do not want to send email to a fax machine

My prevous post (not the fax machine) was not clear. Here's some additional information about the problem.

When I address an email in Outlook 2010, I can type the name of the recipient in the "to" field. If nothing happens (Outlook doesn't immediately recognize the email address) I click on "check names." When I do, a window pops up with two choices: one is the person's name and email, the second is "business fax."

Well, I do not want to send an email to a fax machine, and I shouldn't have to choose. I should think that Outlook would be programmed better than that. And so is there some setting I need to check somewhere, or is there a work-around, or something wrong?

Thanks, OkBob

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can prepend the word FAX:. See #3 at Outlook Duplicates. Also, see Hide fax Numbers for a low cost utility to help.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

okbob (2011-03-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    You can prepend the word FAX:. See #3 at Outlook Duplicates.
    Joe,
    I run Outlook 2007 on XP SP3.

I followed the procedure to add the word "Fax: " to each non-blank item under Business Fax by exporting to an .XLS file, then used a macro to prepend the string to each non-blank entry in the column. I then imported the file back into Outlook, created a new email, pressed the To... button, and ...

... all the Business Fax entries are still there! They now have the format {name}@FAX: {fax number}.

Sounded good, but ...
    Last edited by pjustice57; 2011-03-23 at 10:50.
    PJ in FL

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjustice57 View Post
    Joe,
    I run Outlook 2007 on XP SP3.

I followed the procedure to add the word "Fax: " to each non-blank item under Business Fax by exporting to an .XLS file, then used a macro to prepend the string to each non-blank entry in the column. I then imported the file back into Outlook, created a new email, pressed the To... button, and ...

... all the Business Fax entries are still there! They now have the format {name}@FAX: {fax number}.

Sounded good, but ...
    Don't use it myself but maybe you should try the program whose link I posted. There is a 14 day trial. Even if you decide not to buy it you may be able to see what it is doing.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe and pjustice57, thank you for your replies. I will look through the "Outlook Duplicates" link for steps to cure. And so I conclude that Microsoft Outlook is NOT smart enough to know that I don't want to email a fax machine. Too complicated, Einstein would not be pleased with Microsoft. Happy Wednesday to you, OkBob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I have now tried Joe's suggestion of "prepending" the word "FAX" at the beginning of the fax number box. For the two that I tried, that solution DOES WORK. The fax number doesn't pop up as an optional email address. Very cool beans. Thank you, gentlemen. OkBob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by okbob View Post
    ... "prepending" the word "FAX" at the beginning of the fax number ... that solution DOES WORK.
    okbob,

Your success got me thinking (painful, but still ...) so I went back and changed my "Fax:" string to "Fax", then "Fax ", but neither trial was successful. What WAS successful was to MANUALLY edit the "BusinessFax" field. I changed two instances of "Fax " to "Fax", and neither appeared in the list of email addresses. Both showed up previously as email addresses when they were imported from Excel .XLS files with the same modification.

Any MVP's out there want to offer a suggestion why importing the modified values for BusinessFax doesn't work but manually changing the field does?

=====================
    (puzzled) PJ in (sunny) FL
    PJ in FL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved! I'll post the solution shortly...
    PJ in FL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I've successfully removed all 130+ business fax listings from my address email list when I press "To:" in an email.

Importing corrected contacts does not work, so instead of running the macro on the Excel copy of the contacts, I modified the macro to change company names found at Programmatically Updating Company Names in Outlook 2007 to change the "BusinessFaxNumber" property of the contact directly inside Outlook instead.

In my case, all the entries under Business Fax already had "Fax " prepended, so I just added an additional space to the prefix, changing the entries to "Fax ".

After running the macro, all the Business Fax entries were gone! I'll be rerunning the macro again with the property changed to "HomeFaxNumber" to remove the few entries I have for those.

Here's the macro I used:
    Code:
    Sub ChangeFaxNumber()

Dim objContactsFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
        Dim objContacts As Outlook.Items
        Dim strOldFax As String
        Dim strNewFax As String
        Dim objContact As Object
        Dim iCount As Integer

' Specify with which contact folder to work
        Set objContactsFolder = _
            Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
        Set objContacts = objContactsFolder.Items

iCount = 0

' Process the changes
       For Each objContact In objContacts
          If TypeName(objContact) = "ContactItem" Then
             If Len(objContact.BusinessFaxNumber) > 0 Then
                strOldFax = objContact.BusinessFaxNumber
                strNewFax = "Fax " & Right(strOldFax, Len(strOldFax) - 3)
                objContact.BusinessFaxNumber = strNewFax
                objContact.Save
                iCount = iCount + 1
             End If
          End If
       Next

' Display the results
       MsgBox "Number of contacts updated:" & Str$(iCount), , _
          "ChangeFax Finished"

' Clean up
       Set objContact = Nothing
       Set objContacts = Nothing
       Set objContactsFolder = Nothing

End Sub
    The intermediate string variables aren't necessary, but I use them while initially stepping through the code to check the values.

To get Outlook to allow me to run the macro, I had to go to "Tools" > "Macro" > "Security" and check the item "No security check for macros", then close and restart Outlook. I then opened the VBA IDE (alt-F11) and ran the macro from there.

=================
    PJ in (sunny) FL

Administrator
    Thanks
    @PJ, glad you resolved it. Thanks for posting your solution. I'm sure it will help others in the same situation.

Joe