4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to search Pub files

I have 10+ years (back to June 0f 1999) of once a month newsletters that were all created in various versions of Publisher, we are now using 2003, SP3.

I found that apparently I cannot search these files. I am using Windows XP and I have used both the XP search and the Windows desktop search. The directories that we have these stored in contain both Word and Publisher, (the submissions were mostly done in Word and then copied to Publisher) so I can find the term that I am looking for if it is in one of the Word documents but it doesn't show up in the search results, even if it is in a Publisher file. I found one by tracking from the Word document to the Publisher document, so I know that it is there.

Does anyone know of a way to search these files? Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You need an ifilter for the .pub files. See Office 2010 filter packs.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, I downloaded the filters but still didn't turn up in my search. There was a note that said that the Microsoft Search Service was required and I'm not sure what that is. I Googled it and didn't come up with a good explanation. Do I need to wait while it is doing some indexing? Thanks again for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Windows Desktop Search should be sufficient. After the installation, you need to force search to rebuild its index. And you will need to wait for the indexing to run.

Joe