Rose

bullets and numbering

Another bullets and nymbering question. What is the best way to restart numbering using a numbered style. For instance, if there is a list formatted with the list bullet style that has items numbered 1,2,3,and 4, can a create another list later in the document using the same style, and restarting at 1. When I do attempt to restart numbering using the bullets and numbering dialog box the style and/or numbers for the previous list bulleted items change.
    Thanks so much

susabelle

Re: bullets and numbering

The first thing you should do is go to tools|autocorrect and turn off the auto numbers and bullets on the autoformat as you type tab, and turn off headings and lists on the autoformat tab. This may totally solve your problem.

This is a case of Word thinking it knows better than you what you want. NOT.

-Susabelle

Rose

Tried turning off autoformat first. It didn't help. When I restart a list with a style, the previous instances of the style also change. Sometimes the numbering for the previous items changes, and sometimes all the previous list items fall back to the left margin. Thought maybe I had the automatically update checkbox for the style checked, but that wasn't it either.
    Thanks

nehmar

Are you actually using an official "style"? Or do you just have bullets and numbering applied?

susabelle

Are you using format|style to do this, or using the drop down style box on the left-hand side? That's the problem. If you use a style, and then "change" the style somewhere else in the document, guess what happens? it changes the STYLE everywhere else it's being used!!!

Annoying, I know!!!

To use a numbered or bulleted list, I'd just use the bullet and number tool on the toolbar, or go to format|numbers and bullets and do it that way, rather than to use the STYLES. Save the STYLE-type work for headings and whatnot. You'll find it will work much more easily for you in the future.

-Susabelle

Rose

an actual style. In fact, the pre-defined List Number style. As my documents are quite long and numbering schemes often must be changed, I would much prefer to use a style for this numbering. I am sure there is a way to restart the numbering using a style, but I have not hit upon it yet.
    Any ideas appreciated
    Thanks

nehmar

Susabelle's next comment is correct. If you are changing the actual style to restart numbering then it will happen everywhere the style is used.

Here is what we do at our firm. This may help you out:

We create a style that is "linked" to a level in an outline numbered list. An easy way to do this is to modify all of the levels in the Outline numbered list to be the way you want them first. Then click on the More button to show the bottom half of the window. In the box that says Link level to style: type the name for your style. Repeat for each level of the outline numbered list that you wish to use.
    Back in your document, you now have styles lets call them First, Second, Third and Fourth. If I start with First, then use Second, then go back and use First again, then use Second again, Second restarts. Basically, you have to have a outline numbered item higher up in the list to force the next outline numbered level to restart. If you are only using one level of numbering, then what can be done is the first level of numbering can be set to have no numbering. Then, the second level of numbering contains your number. Whenever you want the numbering to start over, you simply apply the style for numbering level one (First style) to the paragraph prior to where you want the numbering to restart.

I am attaching a document for you to look at that uses two styles, First and Second.

I don't know if this is what you were after, but I hope it helps!

susabelle

You can create as many styles as you need, but changing existing styles is what is causing trouble. Make new styles (not change existing ones) to accommodate for the number changes, be sure they are being saved to the normal.dot template as you go.

Truly, using the styles is what is causing you such grief. They are a little "too helpful" sometimes and can get in the way of your formatting.

-Susabelle

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I create many documents with numbered paragraphs, including numbered subparagraphs. I have found in Word 97 and 2000, that styles are the best thing since sliced bread.

Create your styles
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen is right on the money with this one. Styles are the <font color=red>ONLY</font color=red> was to go as far as I'm concerned. I have never had a problem with numbering, restarting numbering or any similar issues when using styles properly. They are an incredibly powerful tool. One comment, however -- instead of using the "normal" style for unnumbered paragraphs, I would suggest using Body Text, or Normal Indent, some other text style so you can adjust indents and spacing before/after consistently.

Rose

Thanks, it seems to be working well. I'd like to set up this type of template for the other users in my company. Does anybody have any tips for getting users to actually use this type of template and making it easier for them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create a workgroup template with these styles. Replace the Word command File New Default with a procedure named File New Default (stored in your global template) that calls the workgroup template with all your styles in it.

Joanne is right about using another style, not normal for plain text if there are indents etc involved. I always set up styles for indented paragraphs without numbers that are indented to the same level of the styles.

For example: a Level1 numbering style that has its paragraph number at 0 and indented at 1.27 cm, has a corresponding un-numbered paragraph style called 1st Indent where the paragraph is indented to 1.27 cm.

This way you can write a macro that easily skips numbering and turns numbering back on. If you need any more help with this let me know.

Cheers,

If you want to have these styles in all templates use organiser to copy them across and put a toolbar with access to the styles in your global template (the one in startup). If you only want the styles within this one template, put the toolbar into this template.

Rose

Thanks for all the help! I think I'm getting numbering under control, but I still have one problem. Has anyone else had a problem with numbered lists falling back to the left margin after changing tabs? This is really driving me crazy. I adjust the tabs using the customize numbering dialog box, and as soon as I hit Apply the previous numbers fall back to the left margin. Any idea how to fix this?
    Thanks again,
    Rose

Thanks

You may not have realized what a big question you asked![img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]
    For a full answer, take a look at the following:
    Word's Numbering Explained
    Numbering

You may also want to download the Word version of <A HREF="http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm" target="_blank">How to Create a Template] which includes a template with virtually bullet-proof numbering styles that you can modify to your heart's content.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Rose

Thanks for all the help. I'm in the midst of reading the articles now. Does anybody know if Microsoft does anything to address this problem in the upcoming version of Office?