Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Disk Image: Macrium Reflect vs Win 7

The free Macrium Reflect makes a disk image and so does Windows 7 Backup. Which is better, and why?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just google Macrium reflect free. You will find lots of info. I can't remember where I heard about it even though it was only about a week ago. If I do I'll post a link because it had listed benefits over the W7 backup. One I remember is you can create a boot CD to recover.

Here is a lounge thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-image-Macrium

and another: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...m-Reflect-Free
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2011-03-23 at 14:35. Reason: added links

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    Just google Macrium reflect free. You will find lots of info. I can't remember where I heard about it even though it was only about a week ago. If I do I'll post a link because it had listed benefits over the W7 backup. One I remember is you can create a boot CD to recover.

Here is a lounge thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-image-Macrium

and another: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...m-Reflect-Free
    With both Vista & Windows 7 you can create a repair disk. See Create a reapir disk for more information.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Win 7 Image an System program/ I just used it to restore, It worked perfectly,. my C drive after it got corrupted. I make a hew image the ist of every month/ It also will make a bookable DVD. It will save to DVD, USB HD, or another hardwired HD

My 2 cents

Eugene

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeacham View Post
    The free Macrium Reflect makes a disk image and so does Windows 7 Backup. Which is better, and why?
    Bill,
    Hello.... As i like to say Macrium Reflect "kicks the pants off" of the Windows flavor,and here's why...

1. With Macrium you can "mount the image " and have a look at everything that was just backed up.

2. Macrium uses "compression" ( give you a choice too)...so you can store many more images in less space

3. With Macrium you can "verify " the image that you have made...I have done hundreds of images and never had one that was "verified" fail to recover. ( done zillions of recoveries)

4. Macrium has a nice user interface...All tools are easy to use.

5. You can "burn" a "Boot Recovery Disk" that bypasses Windows. This allows you to "boot" into Macrium in the event you have "toasted Windows"

Might be a few more ..it's early and I'm not awake yet Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Backup gives you an easy interface to delete old backup files. I haven't been able to find such a thing on Macrium Reflect. How do you delete older, unwanted backups on Macrium? Via Windows Explorer, maybe?

Fafner

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafner View Post
    Windows Backup gives you an easy interface to delete old backup files. I haven't been able to find such a thing on Macrium Reflect. How do you delete older, unwanted backups on Macrium? Via Windows Explorer, maybe?
    Fafner,

Hello.... To delete an unwanted "backup" you find it using windows (wherever you saved it) and simply delete it. ...to view the image , you click on it and open.... ...Macrium will assign it a drive letter ...then you can "have a look see" ...When finished, click on the "Image" and select "un -mount" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, you can mount images as VHD drives with Win 7, and open all the backed up files /folders with Explorer.

Thought it was worth mentioning.

Regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    For what it's worth, you can mount images as VHD drives with Win 7, and open all the backed up files /folders with Explorer.
    How do you do that? What are the steps?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    With Macrium you can "mount the image " and have a look at everything that was just backed up.
    Can you do that in the free version?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks

Question Summarizing

It seems that Macrium and Windows 7 do essentially the same things.
    • Both make images.
    • Both make bootable CDs or DVDs so you can boot up in case of system crash and find your image and restore it (assuming the image is on a separate drive from the one that crashed).
    • You can mount both and find individual files.
    From my limited experience it appears that Macrium images are smaller, but I have only one data point from each.

So why would you prefer one over the other?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you do that in the free version?
    Bill,
    Yes, you can mount the Image in the "Free" version without any jumping through any hoops... Also windows does not have a "verify" the image. For some the size of the backups does matter, I have over a hundred or so "Images" (rough count) in various places. As to why one would prefer one over the other? ..... to each his \ her own. Suggest that you try Macrium and compare for yourself (speed size tools etc.). Regards Fred

PS: Also when you have a Macrium "image" it appears as one file, easy to view, etc. not a "clunky"folder full of who knows what files\ folders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-03-24 at 13:57.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I have actually tried Macrium, and it saved my bacon when my machine became unbootable. (Because I followed instructions from MS tech support, but that is another story.) Then I found out that Windows 7 has a disk imager as well. Thanks!
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you do that? What are the steps?
    Hi bmeacham, you can mount images as VHD drives with Win 7 by going to Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management,then in the Actions Pane click More Actions,then Attach VHD,then browse to the Windows Image Backup location, click through until the VHD(S) are shown, select the VHD you wish to mount and click Open.The VHD will appear as a new drive letter in the list of Disks and you can right click the new drive to view the contents.

To dismount the VHD right click the Disk No. in the lower part of the Disk Management window and click Detach VHD.You will then be given the option to detach the VHD, and , if you wish, to delete the VHD file as well.

Regards,Roy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for curiosity's sake. my comp automatically backs up the image in WIn 7 but I also use Easeus Todo which is very effective (has saved my bacon several times). Does anyone have experience of comparing results with Macrium reflect and Easeus todo?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast