iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 9's nagging 64-bit woes

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Internet Explorer 9's nagging 64-bit woes

By Woody Leonhard

64-bit computing is now mainstream, but the world's most commonly used browser, Internet Explorer, didn't get the memo.

You now have a 64-bit system and are running a 64-bit OS, but that doesn't mean you want to run 64-bit IE 9. Here's why.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/03/24/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Easy way IE9 back to IE8. No hassles.

I am running new AMD Phenom II quad core x 955 Processor 4.00GB with Win 7 64 bit operating system. Since updating to IE9 (64 bit) have had all the problems in article and more. Decided to revert to IE8 which had worked well. Microsoft Answers provided the easy way to uninstall IE9.

1. Close all Programs.
    2. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click Uninstall A Program in the Programs Catergory.
    4 In the Tasks pane, click View Installed Updates.
    5. In the list of installed updates double click Windows Internet Explorer 9.
    6. In the Uninstall An Update dialog box click Yes.
    Note if you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    7. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Expolrer 9.
    8. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.
    9. After you restart your computer, open Internet Explorer.
    10. Click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu. If Internet Explorer 8 appears in the about IE dialog box, the you have successfully completed the uninstall.

Followed these instructions and I am now back with IE8 without all the IE9 problems. I agree with Woody. If you have Win7 64 bit install IE9 update at your peril.
    Last edited by new zealand robert; 2011-03-26 at 22:51. Reason: Clarified layout for easier reading

Thanks
    Your IE 9 problems were with the 64 Bit version. Did you try the 32 Bit version? When you install IE 9 64 Bit bot the 64 Bit and the 32 Bit versions are installed. In the Strat Orb, All Programs there will be both Internet Explorer (64 Bit) and Internet Explorer. The latter is the 32 Bit version. Most have found the 32 Bit version outperforms the 64 Bit version hands down.

As Woody does state in the article the 32 Bit version of IE 9 RTM is, at present, far superior to the 64 Bit version.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-03-27 at 06:26.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Windows 7 64-bit Toshiba laptop. I installed IE9 through Microsoft Update, and found it to be a cleaner interface and faster, as advertised. However, I couldn't print anything from IE9 to my HP printer. I followed the procedure that you gave and uninstalled IE9, going back to IE8. Now again I have no problems printing. I have warned my contacts not to install IE9 until it becomes stable (usually takes 6-12 months).

Thanks
    Again I refer to my post #3. Were your problems the 64 Bit or 32 Bit version of IE 9? I have had no problems at all with 3 seperate PC's, 2 - 64 Bit OS and 1 - 32 Bit OS while using IE 9 32 Bit and printing to our printer through our wireless router. I have not attempted to print using the 64 Bit version of IE 9. If I get the opportunity I will try this and post back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Printer Problems

The problems were with the 64-bit version. That was the one that automatically came up in Microsoft Windows Update (Windows 7) since my Toshiba laptop is 64 bit.

How do you override that to get the 32-bit version (directly from the Microsoft Download site)?

My connection to the new HP Officejet printer is via USB cable.

Thanks
    Hi Ares0331,

You can download Internet Explorer from the official MS Internet Explorer download site here. Now, here is the catch. After you locate your language on the page, you must specify which version of Windows 7 you have installed, either the 32 or 64 bit version. Since you have Windows 7 64 bit installed, choose that as your Windows OS. Although IE9 will be installed using the 64 bit Windows 7 installer, it will install both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of IE9, but it will make the 32 bit the default install, so when you first run IE9, it will be the 32 bit version.

The 32 bit version of IE9 would be in the Program Files (x86) folder, while the 64 bit IE9 will be in the Program Files folder.

See this ZDNet article here for more information.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-04-14 at 18:23. Reason: spelling

New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) 32-bit vs. 64-bit

From your description it seems that I was using the 32-bit default version on a 64-bit machine, and the 32-bit version was the one unable to print anything. That would lead to the conclusion that it is IE9, not specifically the 64-bit version that is the problem. I think it is best to wait 6-12 months to try to install it, when all the bugs might have been worked out.

Thanks
    I use IE 9's 64 bit almost exclusively, and only switch to the 32 bit version when I need to view flash or Silverlight.
    Unfortunately, IE 9 (64) can't use 32-bit ActiveX controls. That means all sorts of popular programs effectively get the axe.
    ...And that to me is the greatest part.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer (IE9) 64-bit

You said that IE9's 64-bit version doesn't work with Flash, Silverlight, or 32-bit ActiveX. The more I think about it, when I lost the ability to print through IE9, it was the 64-bit version that I was using, not the default 32-bit.

It appears that it premature to install IE9 before these glitches are worked out. It's a nice product, but not that nice that one should have to go through all these difficulties to use it!

Thanks
    The 32 Bit version of IE 9 works excellently. I would not defer using IE simply because the 64 Bit version is not ready for prime time. If you have a 64 Bit OS and download / install IE 9 - 64 Bit, both the 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions are installed. Simply choose to use the 32 Bit version for now. The 64 Bit version will just sit there.

IE 9 32 Bit has gotten excellent reviews and when compared to Chrome 10 or FF 4 has gotten very good press. Just use the 32 Bit version and enjoy it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted