Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sync Outlook and Gmail using IMAP - how can I control duplicates?

I have used outlook to access several POP 3 accounts for some years. One of these was a gmail account. All the accounts downloaded into the same PST file.

I now use the gmail account as my main inbox and only use Outlook to store an offline copy of my emails.

I have reconfigured Outlook to access gmail using IMAP, and my new emails turn up in the Imap folder within Outlook.

Now I want to upload my older emails to gmail.

If I move existing email into the IMAP folder is IMAP sophisticated enough to recognise that many of them already exist in the gmail account?or will I end up duplicates of all the messages that were POPped from gmail

If IMAP won't do it is there any other way I can identify the duplicates and separate them out?

Thanks!

Thanks
    You almost certainly will get duplicates. Over the years, people have created add-ons to remove duplicates, and maybe someone can recommend one or more of those to try. Because your messages were downloaded through different mechanisms, I'm not sure they will be recognized as duplicates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

flippertie (2011-03-24)

Thanks
    You almost certainly will get duplicates. Over the years, people have created add-ons to remove duplicates, and maybe someone can recommend one or more of those to try. Because your messages were downloaded through different mechanisms, I'm not sure they will be recognized as duplicates.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats what I was hoping not to hear.....

Thanks.

I'd guessed that would be the case. It's not too big a deal as space is not the issue, but it would feel cleaner to be able to strip out the duplicates.

I'll keep looking for a way.