2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean Windows install-why Search Service errors?

Did a clean install of Win 7 HPremuim; wanted to cleanup my PC...added the following programs back into my system: Win 7 Home Premium & all updates incl Sp1; M/Soft offfice and updates; MSE & updates; Super-Antispyware; Anti-Malwarebytes; IE9, F/Fox; T'bird; Foxit; Asus DX2 soundcard; updated Nvidia drivers; Secunia PSI and RevoUninstaller. I am using windows firewall. I had not one issue or problem putting this stuff into my PC and the clean install went smoothly. but errors off the bat... The errors are Windows Search Service (7000) errors, timeouts; failure to start, etc.,

The errors are in event viewer, the Administrative section only; the only thing I can think of is that there might be a software compatibility issue somewhere. I do not see any errors on bootup or BSOD's or anything of the sort. If I didn't go into event viewer, I never would have known there was a problem. PC seems to run fine. Windows Search Service is set to automatic.

Can someone give me some advice as to where to start the hunt? Just a bit discouraged about now. Thanks.

Diane
    Last edited by PeachesP; 2011-03-24 at 06:43.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you notice this at a particular point in the install process or did it start as soon as the OS & SP1 was installed?

Are you seeing these errors in the event log? If so, more detail from the event log might help.

Have you changed the Windows Search configuration?

Have you "tweaked" any service settings?

Have you used something like Autoruns or WhatInStartup to manage what is happening when you boot the system?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe: Thanks for helping.

The errors only appeared in the Administrative log portion of event viewer. There were about 10 of them, mostly failed to load and timeouts, but the service was running from what I could tell.

I looked at the time the errors were to have occurred. They occurred at the same time I installed Microsoft Office 2007 suite.

There are no errors or warnings in the Windows log section of event viewer, not in applications, system, hardware, security or any of those sections. I see no errors that come up on my monitor on bootup, no BSOD's and PC actually is running very nicely.

I did fix the issue that exists between Anti-Malware bytes and MSE. That error went away. I did about 30 updates between last night and this morning to M/Soft office; rebooted a couple of times and I don't see any warnings or errors now regarding "Windows Search"

I did not "tweak" with any services. I did open services.msc to see the status of "Windows Search". It was "automatic" and "running".

I have not used Autoruns or WhatInStartup.

Just got a bit discouraged after doing all this work and re-loading all my stuff. Perhaps I worry too much. Thanks alot.

Diane P.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    After an initial install of the OS, then all the program installations, then all the patches the sytem has a lot of work to do. The system needs to build the search index. It may need to defrag your HD. With usage and system boots the prefetch data is built up and files scheduled to be moved to optimize further restarts. There certainly can be timing issues in starting services. Many of the services are configured just to try again if there is a failure when they first attempt to start. If you are not seeing the errors now I think it is time to not worry. Just chalk it up to a transient siuation.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your answer. Makes a lot of sense.

I'll take a look at defragging the hard drive when I do my normal maintenance over the weekend. When I booted up this morning, no issues. PC started fast & smooth. I'm going to try my best to keep my nose out of Event Viewer for a couple of days unless I have issues.

Other then me worrying about stuff that isn't there, I'm going to enjoy the PC. Thanks again.

Diane