Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer Strange Behaviour

I have a folder on an external drive, which has the NTFS file structure,which opens with no problem with Windows Explorer. (The folder contains mostly .avi files).I have backed up the drive with a program called Oops!Backup, with which I can open any other folder with Explorer without problem, and I also have the folder in question backed up with a Windows System Image.However, if I try to open the folder from either the Oops backup location, or from the mounted System Image, Windows Explorer shows the folder contents for a split second and then crashes.

Can anyone explain this behaviour, and tell me how to solve the problem?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the event log for any additional information on the crash?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe,

The detais in the friendly view of the event log are:
    Explorer.EXE
    4ce796f3
    unknown
    c0000005
    01cbe9eee5aa9f66
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    unknown
    02d5b214-561a-11e0-af78-001966440459

This doesn't mean a thing to me.Does it to you?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Ihave Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that perhaps Oops!Backup (or some other software) has installed a file viewer/previewer into Explorer and that is what is crashing. One way to see what is installed into Explorer is to run autoruns from sysyinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902); it will let you uncheck and installed Explorer extensions - look on the "Explorer" tab in autoruns for anything that did not come from Microsoft and uncheck it. Then reboot and try to access the files again.

I just noticed that you said "mounted System Image". Does Oops!Backup provide a mechanism to mount a backup image as a disk? If so, then the driver that Ooops!Backup provides is at fault. You need to let the developers know so that they can fix the issue.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello cafed00d,

The mounted system image I referred to was mounted from an image created with Win 7, using the option in Disk Management.(Oops!Backup does not provide a mechanism to mount a backup image as a disk).

After trying other methods to solve the Windows Explorer problem I finally found the cause of the crashes.I had installed the latest version of K-Lite Codec Pack, which provides every type of codec imaginable for playing media files. When installing previous versions I went through various configuration screens, but when I updated to the latest version I just accepted the default installation.This included an option to use the DivX H.264 decoder, which I understand can cause problems with any Windows version, and Microsoft have not yet sorted this out. As soon as I unchecked the H.264 option Windows Explorer worked normally again with the folder in question, which included a number of DivX files.

I hope other members who have or are thinking of using the K-Lite Codec Pack find the above useful.

Regards,Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Nice detective work. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe