4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting info from user - methods

What are my options for getting info from the user which will be used as part of the header?
    1st page - get header information from user and display as part of the normal info
    2nd & subsequent pages - the header information in the 1st page to be part of the page header.

I can use the userform - which the management don't like. They prefer something inline. Is that even possible? Is there anything that can provide an inline method of getting the 'header' info from the user.

I tried form fields(using the forms toolbar) but it won't allow me to insert anything in the field! I don't understand why.

Any other suggestions highly welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Really think you'll get more information here than Hans' already supplied over on Eileen's?
    PJ in FL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    If it must be in line then try
    1 A macrobutton field in the title page with a bookmark
    2 A ref field in the header that references the bookmark. But be careful that you dont destroy the bookmark when using the macrobutton field.

A bit ugly !!
    I would prefer a vba form and docvariables or custom properties.

G

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It should be possible to do what you're describing, by using StyleRef fields - first, create two paragraph styles dedicated specifically for the two cover page heading paragraphs.
    Then in the header, insert two StyleRef fields, that refer to the two style names used on the cover page.
    Any revisions then made to the text on the cover page, will automatically update in the headers.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use content controls for this type of requirement nowdays when using the xml file formats. This effectively puts document properties into the document in multiple locations and you can edit any instance and have the other instances update instantly. This includes date fields with a date picker which can be formatted differently in different locations in the document. The advantage of the ability to edit the docproperty metadata inline in the document is great.

The drawback is that content controls get converted to fields if Word 2003 is used to open the file.

To add Content Controls for the common built-in metadata fields like Title, Author, Subject etc, go to the Insert>Quick Parts>Document Property.

If you need to go beyond that set of fields then you need to look at other information such as Linking Word 2007 Content Controls to Custom XML and Content Control Toolkit
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia