Thread: Easy bcd

Thanks

Easy bcd

I have Windows 7 on one hard drive and Windows XP on another physical drive.

I got Easy BCD some time ago to make Windows 7 the default boot drive.
    It work fine....

I would also like to have a boot option for my DVD drive in the event I ever need to boot from the DVD drive so I don't have to go into the BIOS and change the drive boot to the DVD drive..

I was looking at BCD today and it appears to have those options but I am not sure if I should make any changes until I know for sure.

Also, I installed BCD on my XP drive.. Do I have to make all changes while in XP or can I make them in Windows 7 ? Does it matter?

Thanks guys
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I have Windows 7 on one hard drive and Windows XP on another physical drive.

I would also like to have a boot option for my DVD drive in the event I ever need to boot from the DVD drive so I don't have to go into the BIOS and change the drive boot to the DVD drive..

Also, I installed BCD on my XP drive.. Do I have to make all changes while in XP or can I make them in Windows 7 ? Does it matter?
    Banyarola,
    Hello....There is no need to place the DVD in the EasyBCD que your BIOS will do that automatically upon booting up.

As far as placing "BCD" on both systems ....I do that (all OS's) so i can change things around from whatever OS that i happen to be running...This is sometimes handy because occasionally when recovering ... the BCD gets messed up and wont boot into the OS that i recovered.....The fix then is to boot into the one that windows decides and then modify (fix) EasyBCD and all is then well Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred, I was reading on their help that if you have BCD on one drive and that drive goes bad then you can't boot into the other drive because all the BCD data is on the drive you installed BCD on....

At least that's the way I understand it.

So, maybe having it on both drives is a good idea..

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to unplug one drive and see what happens when you boot....
    Maybe I'll do that when I get a chance and see what happens...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I was reading on their help that if you have BCD on one drive and that drive goes bad then you can't boot into the other drive because all the BCD data is on the drive you installed BCD on....

So, maybe having it on both drives is a good idea..
    Banyarola,
    Hello... Yes, I have had that happen and having it (EasyBCD) on each OS is extra protection ... Seems sometimes when i have recovered that Acronis will change the HD letters.. messing up your ability to boot into what you've just recovered. I would install it on each OS ...NOW! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You know Fred, while I have it on Windows 7 I never installed it. It got transferred over from XP with PC Mover...

I really don't use it...Like I said I only used it to change the boot order so Windows 7 would boot first...

Anyway, I may just uninstall it...I'll think about it...

When your computer crashes the last thing you need is to start fiddling around with BCD...

I could understand having it if you had several OS's and were booting between them.

What do you use it for?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I could understand having it if you had several OS's and were booting between them.

What do you use it for?
    Banyarola,
    Hello.. Yes, i Have 5 or so OS's that i "boot" into as the mood strikes... So EasyBCD is a must have on all...As sometime things don't go quite according to plan recovering systems. I like it because i can change the boot order or rename things the way i choose, without any hassle. For instance ... I recover my main OS (cause i did something dumb) using Acronis.... When booting Windows for some unknown reason will not boot to the recovered HD.... So it will boot into one of the others...At that point i just bring up EasyBCD and Re-name the recovered drive (usually a letter assignment) and off i go...If i didn't have "BCD" already loaded i would have to install and start from scratch. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Well Fred, unlike you. I only have two os's..

I think I'm gonna uninstall it.
    I don't see much sense in keeping it for what I want to do....