Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Request for help with using Macrium Free

Just now downloaded and installed Macrium Free on the advice of other Loungers, but got stuck on using it. I've included a screen shot to show you where I am, hoping a Lounger could explain what I should do.

I am trying to save the image on my Maxtor external hard drive, which is F: drive. I get the error message you see when I click Next after completing the larger screen as shown. If more information is needed, please let me know!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The error message makes it appear that you may have inadvertently selected F: to be included in the image. Start over and make sure that the F: drive is not selected to be included in the backup. Its been a bit since I've installed Macrium, but I seem to recall that it selects all local drives by default.
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it helps, I agree with Chuck. Don't include F: in what is to be backed up. Use F: as the destination.

PS: Be sure to make a Macrium Rescue disk.
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-03-25 at 17:10. Reason: added a PS

Thanks
    I prefer to make a folder on my hdd, name it Backups, make a sub folder, name it, March 25 and put the backup in it. Tomorrow make a new sub folder March 26. I also put a text file in each sub folder to remind me of what I've done or changed, and a .jpg of installed programs from 'Progs. and Features using Snipping tool.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you. For some reason, I wasn't getting email notifications of replies so finally looked up the forum and there you all were. I'm going to go in and try again and will post back with progress. Think I'll try Roderunner's suggestion, too, as I like the folder and sub-folder organization method.

Thanks
    Check this thread for Macrium Reflect Instructions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Thanks to all of you. For some reason, I wasn't getting email notifications of replies so finally looked up the forum and there you all were. I'm going to go in and try again and will post back with progress. Think I'll try Roderunner's suggestion, too, as I like the folder and sub-folder organization method.
    Thanks for your confidence in my 'Modus Operandi' I don't see any reason to backup without knowing what it contains, if or when a restore is needed.
    Bye the way, I use Acronis 2010, as I don't like Macrium Reject but thats only because it seems unsuitable for my PC set up.
    P.S. hope your notified.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Check this thread for Macrium Reflect Instructions.
    Hi Ted, all the attachments are missing on your link.

Thanks
    Sorry, it is an old posting from the old Lounge. It was originally posted by mercyh. I do not have those attachments as I did not post the original thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted and all,

It us unfortunate but I no longer have those images either. It looks like some of them are there but the placement formatting did not survive the move to the "new" lounge.

Mercyh

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

The backup image of my laptop is being done as I write! I was doing something wrong with the F:/ drive, but it is now the destination for the backup and all seems to be working fine. Re. Ted's link, I only just now read your message, so saw all the other notes about the link first and won't try to check it out myself - and get frustrated!

Will also find out how to make the Macrium Rescue disk.

A follow on question: I have the laptop connected to the external hard disk all the time doing ongoing back ups. Given that, how often would you suggest I also do an image backup?

Will post back with progress with image currently being done and the rescue disk. Thanks for all your help!

Linda

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Hi all,

A follow on question: I have the laptop connected to the external hard disk all the time doing ongoing back ups. Given that, how often would you suggest I also do an image backup?
    Linda
    Hi Linda, on my pc's, I only make system images, as nothing on my C: drive's gets changed. I make a backup if a program is updated or before playing silly buggers i.e. experimenting.
    It all depends on when your files/folders are added to or changed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, thanks. I think there is a great deal about this whole system image/ back up thing that I don't fully understand. However, I'll keep working on learning more!

I just completed the Rescue CD and it worked fine. There is now a message telling me to check for PC compatibility by powering off the laptop and trying to boot with this CD. Then to burn a different CD using a different mode if it doesn't work. I understand all of the message except the "boot with this CD" part. I have no idea how to boot from a CD!

Can you or another Lounger explain. This is something I'll need to do if I do have problems with a hard drive, I suspect!!

Thanks again,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-03-29 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Hi Linda, firstly your pc must be set to cd/dvd as first boot device. Pop the disk in the drive, leave open, and restart your pc. During start up, you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd/dvd. If you can't find it press the space bar....LOL.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Tried it just now, but not sure I was fast enough to get to the CD boot. I pressed F2 (the one asked for, I think, and there was lots of disk whirring and a slower than usual start up but then everything opened as it usually does and I don't know if that is because it booted from the hard drive as usual or that it booted from the CD and that's how a proper CD boot should look! Will try again in the morning when I start up again and post back. Right now, my eyes are bugging out of my head and nothing is making much sense!!

Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast