3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I've found the problem with my cloned drive not booting.

According to MS the registry is corrupt per Article ID: 307545 "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting". Under "Part One" it states "This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost." Does "initial; setup" apply tot he first time I set up XP or the current setup? The old Windows is on C the new one is on R. Do I copy it over to R then change R to C in the registry? or do I copy it to the old C import it to the clone on R than change the drive letter?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some more info will be helpful.....
    1) Was an actual "clone" image made rather than a "backup" image?
    2) Is the clone on the R drive?
    3) Are C and R on separate internal hard drives?
    4) What software was used to make the "clone"?
    5) Is the intent to have the R clone drive become the bootable Windows drive?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1) Was an actual "clone" image made rather than a "backup" image?

Yes

2) Is the clone on the R drive?

Yes

3) Are C and R on separate internal hard drives?

Yes, both first partition that are active. C is on a 1 T Samsung and R is on a 1.5T Seagate

4) What software was used to make the "clone"?

Ghost 8 and XXCopy both in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

5) Is the intent to have the R clone drive become the bootable Windows drive?

Yes I added a bigger hard drive. I'll change the R to C in the registry once I can get it to boot.

I cloned C to R. The partition is the first on the drive and is active. As soon as I can get into Windows on R I'll go into the registry and change R drive to C. If I change the boot order in the BIOS, and the drive with C is disconnected, I get different results but can't get on to Windows either way. Using Ghost I go through the black Windows screen with the progress bar and get to the blue log in screen but there are no profiles to log on to. Using XXCopy I don't even get that far. I get the message "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". I've done this several other times without any problem. I'm a my wits end trying to get this fixed. I've redone the clone several times, both ways, with the same result.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understood what you posted to be that you cloned the partition, not the entire C drive.

Have you booted up with both drives attached (so your "C" drive is still your boot device) and went into the Command Prompt (i.e don't let Windows boot up normally, but press the F8 key while restarting to get to the Windows selection menu) to run FDISK to see if drive "R" is set up to be bootable? Have you tried FIXMBR to make sure the Master Boot Record on "R" is correct? If not,you may want to ask for advise before proceeding.
    PJ in FL