New Lounger
    Thanks

Sent email notification

Hello,please forgive me if i get things wrong as this is my first attempt at this sort of thing.my question is,i used to have a small program that would notify me when an email i had sent was opened by the recipient without them knowing or having to do anything, but somehow i lost it does anyone know of anything similar that is available,preferably free as i try to run my pc on the cheap.when you get to my age [75] every penny counts.my pc is xp sp2.
    thanks for your help
    Mike

Thanks
    Many of today's modern email clients have this ability built in. I believe Windows Live Mail does. Check these out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

WHITEFLYER (2011-03-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Many of today's modern email clients have this ability built in. I believe Windows Live Mail does. Check these out.
    Outlook requests a Read Confirmation , but it is up to the user to choose whether to agree.
    I never do. Partly because I think it is rude. Partly because many people who ask for them don't know they are doing it.

How can a program know that an email has been read without the user having to do anything? I would expect my security software to alert me if that was going on.
    And I would direct any future emails from that sender automatically to the spam filter at the server.
    Regards
    John

5. The Following User Says Thank You to johnhutchison For This Useful Post:

WHITEFLYER (2011-03-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITEFLYER View Post
    i used to have a small program that would notify me when an email i had sent was opened by the recipient without them knowing or having to do anything, but somehow i lost it
    You want some spyware?

If it wasn't a read receipt, maybe...

You can add a beacon pixel or "web bug" to an HTML message. This usually is a tiny transparent "image", but the same can be accomplished with a displayed image such as a logo or smiley in your signature. When the mail reader requests the image from its source web server, that request is logged, showing that the message was displayed.

This technique is pretty common in bulk email, but it may be considered rude in person-to-person correspondence. Also, bear in mind that many mail clients do not load images unless the recipient approves, which defeats the beacon/bug unless the recipient views images. (And some security software may strip 1 pixel GIFs, although I haven't paid much attention to this feature in recent years.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

WHITEFLYER (2011-03-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use Thunderbird for email, and it routinely blocks all "remote content". I only see the stuff if I ask to.
    Regards
    John

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johnhutchison For This Useful Post:

WHITEFLYER (2011-03-30)

Thanks
    The business that I work for used to utilize "Groupwise" for e-mail communication. Although it was replaced with MS Outlook for several good reasons, most of us employees really miss the aspect of Groupwise that allowed one to see when a sent e-mail had been opened. The little closed envelope icon would appear as an opened envelope icon when the e-mail had been opened by the recipient. It was also possible to see the exact date and time that the e-mail had been opened. If you happened to be looking at the computer screen when the recipient opened the e-mail, you could actually see the little envelope open. Obviously, there were situations where it was extremely useful to be able to know this information. On the other hand, a call from the boss asking why you hadn't opened the e-mail that he had sent 3 hours ago could be a bit uncomfortable! Regarding the "Read Confirmation" option in Outlook, I agree with johnhutchinson that it seems rude. I rarely use it, usually when I suspect that someone's ducking me.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to johjue For This Useful Post:

WHITEFLYER (2011-03-30)

Thanks
    Also something to keep in mind... generally speaking, a request for a read receipt only works if the sender and receiver is using the same mail server software. If your email is sent through an exchange server, but the receiver gets his mail through a lotus notes server - the read receipt request can't be responded to. Most popular webmail clients like gmail and yahoo, to my knowledge, also won't handle read receipts correctly.

Just an FYI - even if your mail software supports requesting a read receipt, many people you send mail to won't be able to automaticaly let you know they received it due to their email software.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I.M.O.G. For This Useful Post:

WHITEFLYER (2011-03-30)

Thanks
    Also something to keep in mind... generally speaking, a request for a read receipt only works if the sender and receiver is using the same mail server software. If your email is sent through an exchange server, but the receiver gets his mail through a lotus notes server - the read receipt request can't be responded to. Most popular webmail clients like gmail and yahoo, to my knowledge, also won't handle read receipts correctly.

Just an FYI - even if your mail software supports requesting a read receipt, many people you send mail to won't be able to automaticaly let you know they received it due to their email software.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement