Lounger
    Thanks

Hot weather causing connection to drop out?

It's been a hot summer here in New Zealand. Well, mostly. For about two weeks, it cooled down in a friendly southerly. Coincident with these variables, my home network played up: no connection in hot weather, connected in cool. Oooh, I was frustrated.

For some time I didn't make the connection, as it were, and tried to get Win 7 to fix the problem. I tried the 'unplug and wait for at least 10 seconds' routine, several times, wading through a mass of wiring and avoiding the desk fan that threatened to tear through flesh as I reached for the modem.

After two weeks' cool weather, during which I had untroubled connection for a PC and two laptops, another foul hot northerly sprang up. You guessed it: trouble at mill. Heat buildup in my study getting at the modem? No. I finally figured out that I had been the cause — by having sited that desk fan within just 400 mm of the modem.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Sorry to say it may be time for a new modem. Sure sounds like a hardware failure with the modem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear, Ted. [No. I finally figured out that I had been the cause — by having sited that desk fan within just 400 mm of the modem]. i.e. The electric motor had been interfering with my (new Asus) modem. Shift the fan: no more connection problems. This had not been a call for help, rather an offering for those who might, at sometime, strike a similar problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You didn't mention the word "wireless" in the OP, but there are lots of ways to interfere with good ol' radio signals, which is what our wireless items spit out.

Motors of all types are particularly noisy (all that internal sparking thing they do), so watch where your desktop PC's fans are in relation to your router or modem.

Other items to be aware of: wireless mice and keyboards. If I'm moving a few GB between computers, I'll turn off all those that aren't in use and unplug the USB dongles, too. Usually good for 20-30% increase in throughput.

Also keep your cell phone away. The cell phone's radio is on a different frequency, but the computer inside the cell phone generates RF noise that leaks out, more so if you've dropped it a time or two. I had one cell that would play a "lovely" tune through my external speakers if it got near the speaker wires.
    PJ in FL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pjustice57 For This Useful Post:

Dic (2011-03-26)