New Lounger
    Thanks

Issues with RAM and booting with self-built computer

Hi

I have built myself a computer, for the first time ever.
    This morning, I got it to work without any problems. Windows 7 64-bit installed and I could boot as would be expected.

Specs:
    Core i7 950
    12 GB RAM (3x4 Corsair XMS3 DDR 2000 MHz)
    ASUS Mainboard P6X58D Premium
    ASUS ENGT240 Silent Graphics card
    crucial 128 GB SSD
    850 W power supply (Cooler Master).

Strange thing is, it worked while I had not installed the mainboard in the tower. I kept it on an improvised stand to be able to add cables and stuff as needed. I first booted with only the most basic ingredients: Hard drive, graphics card, mainboard and RAM.

Now that I've built the mainboard into the computer, it won't boot anymore. That is, and computer starts and the CPU fan turns and the computer makes all the noises that you would expect it to do. But the screen stays black. And the little red light that is indicating RAM compatibility is red all the time. I have already checked the graphics card, the VGA and DVI cables and the power supply to all the parts inside the tower.
    I've run the MemOK test (where the continuous red light indicates failing, inserted the RAM in various memory slots, and have ripped everything out that is non-essential. It still won't boot.
    I have also made a CMOS reset (twice) and I am really getting desperate here.

I'm on the verge of bringing the cursed thing to the next computer store and tell them to fix no matter what it costs. Another alternative would be to buy memory that is actually on the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) of Asus. However, I don't see why the memory modules should not work with the mainboard that I use, as they meet all the specifications that Asus states on their website.

Is there anything more I can do to resolve the situation by myself and preferably without spending any more money?

Thank you!
    ttp

Thanks
    Go back to bare-bones, inside the case this time...

You may have to try observing a minimal RAM install order. Some memory has a very finicky install order.
    Install the minimum amount in the appropriate slot, post, if successful then install another and repeat.
    When you do install, ensure that it is at stock speed, so if you clocked it up when the board was outside the case, reset it.
    It would also be a good idea to recheck your board's standoffs as well. Ensure there aren't any extras in place.

There are easily dozens of things that can go wrong in a build but usually Asus boards are more forgiving.
    Antistatic precautions must always be taken, especially with memory.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-03-26 at 10:54.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

ttp (2011-03-27)

Thanks
    Since it worked outside the case, I suspect a short somewhwere. Try taking the motherboard out of the case again and see if it boots. If it boots outside the case , you are shorting something out when you mount it in the case. Make sure you don't have an extra standoff that could be shorting. Look at all the mounting points at the underside of the motherboard for possible short locations.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ttp (2011-03-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there

This really seems to turn out to be a "Strange Case of the Case".

guys, thank you very much for your suggestions. I was about to write to Asus or Corsair to complain about their products, but instead I tried out both suggestions.

As for the first suggestion, taking everything apart and doing CMOS reset again did not change anything about the booting problem. I still get the red light that something is wrong with the RAM modules. And the computer still won't boot.

So I removed the motherboard from the case and plugged everything in outside the case again. This time I was able to boot but I had to reinstall Windows because I got some blue screens at start up. I started with one RAM module, then inserted the second one, restarted and finally the third one. Now everything worked fine.

So I unplugged everything again and put the motherboard back in the case, this time without putting the screws in. Oh, and first I removed everything that was potentially acting as a short. There were two screws loosely flying around in the case.

And I couldn't boot again.
    I think I'll leave it at that and just buy a new case. It was the cheapest thing about the whole computer anyway, although I bought one that came highly recommended by a popular PC magazine.

have a nice weekend and thanks for your help!
    TTP

By the way: most of this message was dictated using speech recognition software. In case anything reads funny, just read it out loud and you should get the meaning. :-)

Thanks
    It sounds like a standoff may be in the wrong place.
    If I remember right, on my ASUS boards or with the documentation, it was indicacted where the standoffs should go...

I would double check that.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Banyarola For This Useful Post:

ttp (2011-03-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    It sounds like a standoff may be in the wrong place.
    If I remember right, on my ASUS boards or with the documentation, it was indicacted where the standoffs should go...

I would double check that.
    Well, it turns out I have made a beginner's error that none of you could foresee:
    I did not install ANY of the standoffs but mounted the motherboard directly to the case. That's why it did not work. Duh! Now that I'm using the standoffs everything works fine. In fact, I'm writing this on my spanking-new and super-fast computer!

Well, English is not my mother tongue and even the translation for standoff did not mean much to me until I re-checked all the items I got with the motherboard and found some suspicious little screws.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the help and saving me a couple of $$$!

ttp

Thanks
    Good, make sure you didn't over tighten them..
    I just tightened mine snug...

I made a similar mistake when I built my first PC but what I did was place one in the wrong place...

Lucky you didn't blow the mother board...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Well, it turns out I have made a beginner's error that none of you could foresee:
    I did not install ANY of the standoffs but mounted the motherboard directly to the case. That's why it did not work. Duh! Now that I'm using the standoffs everything works fine. In fact, I'm writing this on my spanking-new and super-fast computer!
    That could easily destroy most boards. Since you had removed the board and retested outside the case with good result is encouraging.
    Keep a close eye on it when you do get everything up and running.