New Lounger
    Thanks

pop-up window while searching Google

During a search on Google last Sunday, my father encountered a pop-up window that was suspicious. Before I could tell him not to click on it, he clicked on the X at the top right corner (X'd it out). Next, a window opened saying that a download was taking place. I closed the window by using Task Manager.

Immediately, I did a full scan with MBAM and found nothing. I did full scan with Norton Security Suite and found nothing. Howver,in Norton I opened "Security History" and found an entry at the exact time of the pop-up on Sunday. It stated, "An intrusion attempt was blocked." I have not noticed any problems...

Is there a chance that malware could lie undetected? Should I use Achronis to reinstall a backup?

Thanks
    Download and run in 'Safe Mode' SuperAntispyware Portable from another clean PC.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    It sounds as though you caught it just in time. Stress upon him the importance of using Task Manager to close unexpected pop ups and the wierdos sending this junk have reprogrammed them to install after clicking anywhere in the pop up. If things start acting wierd, then restore from the Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy