5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Sharing files between computers with Win 7

I have just acquired a Netbook and I would like to have it access some of the folders and files on my desk top and vice-versa. I have been told this is possible as they are on the same Home network. The desktop is "hardwired" into the network, whereas the Netbook has a wireless connection. Can someone point me to a webpage that will tell me exactly what I need to do to share folders and files between these two computers. Alternatively, if it is a rather simple operation, then can anyone let me know how it works (point form). Any insight or assistance that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron M

Thanks
    Hi Ron, I have a desktop & laptop both running Win7 Home Prem. My initial attempt was 'Homegroup' I could create on both but could not join. So just for fun, I clicked 'Network' on my laptop and was allowed to connect. As both my 'toys' have the same username, password and workgroup must be part of its permissions.
    When attempting to use Homegroup I changed the 'Network and Sharing Centre Advanced settings, but for reasons unknkown they have reset themselves and are working in default settings.
    Check your Firewall on both to ensure they are not blocking you.
    Open C: drive and hover on 'Users' it should show as shared on the status bar.

Attachment 27756
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Check out this article by Fred Langa on Windows Secrets Newsletters.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Ron M (2011-03-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    roderunner, sounds like your situation is/was exactly the same as mine, only difference is I got so far and then didn't know where to go from "there". You have filled in a lot of the "there" and I will definitely followup on your information - thanks very much. Only question is - how do I check my firewall - this technology has gone so far past my understanding in the past few years (ever since I retired) that I am still scrambling to keep up - every time I turn around, or update/upgrade my system, there seems to be some new security thing to learn about or "get up to speed on" - thus the question.

My problem seems to be to get both machines to belong to the same "Homegroup". Both machines show that they "belong to a homegroup", the only thing, is that I do not know how to determine if they belong to the same homegroup, or different ones. If they belong to different ones, then how do I get them to belong to the same homegroup? If they belong to to the same homegroup, then how do I find that out? - etc., etc., etc....

If they belong to the same homegroup, how do I access the folders/files on the other machine, i.e., how do I find my desktop when I am on my notebook so that I can move files from my desktop to my notebook - need some of these files when I take the notebook into the field or when I am travelling and I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet.

Regards,

Ron_M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2011-03-27 at 15:08.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I have bookmarked Fred Langa's article and will check it out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Regards,

Ron_M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    roderunner, sounds like your situation is/was exactly the same as mine, only difference is I got so far and then didn't know where to go from "there". You have filled in a lot of the "there" and I will definitely followup on your information - thanks very much. Only question is - how do I check my firewall - this technology has gone so far past my understanding in the past few years (ever since I retired) that I am still scrambling to keep up - every time I turn around, or update/upgrade my system, there seems to be some new security thing to learn about or "get up to speed on" - thus the question.

My problem seems to be to get both machines to belong to the same "Homegroup". Both machines show that they "belong to a homegroup", the only thing, is that I do not know how to determine if they belong to the same homegroup, or different ones. If they belong to different ones, then how do I get them to belong to the same homegroup? If they belong to to the same homegroup, then how do I find that out? - etc., etc., etc....

If they belong to the same homegroup, how do I access the folders/files on the other machine, i.e., how do I find my desktop when I am on my notebook so that Ican move files from my desktop to my notebook - need some of these files when I take the notebook into the field or when I am travelling and I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet.
    Regards,
    Ron_M
    Hi Ron, what firewall do you have ? This is my Laptop FW

Attachment 27758

My Desktop is different, I will show it later if you need me to.
    -
    You say both yours are part of a 'Homegroup' go on both PC's and 'leave the homegroup' it's more bother than its worth IMHO.
    -
    Bad news my friend, when you go 'walk-about' you will not be able to access your files, its only possible when your connected to your own network.
    One option I tried was Dropbox but did'nt like it as some of my files were 'zipped' using 7Zip and password protected, saying that the unprotected ones were unaffected and worked well. Dropbox Download.
    Hope I have'nt missed anything as when you go advanced the reply area shrinks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

Ron M (2011-03-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    -
    Bad news my friend, when you go 'walk-about' you will not be able to access your files, its only possible when your connected to your own network.
    One option I tried was Dropbox but did'nt like it as some of my files were 'zipped' using 7Zip and password protected, saying that the unprotected ones were unaffected and worked well. Dropbox Download.
    Hope I have'nt missed anything as when you go advanced the reply area shrinks.
    Well then, I guess I am up the line without a connection to paraphrase an old saying. The network that I am referring is not a network that I have installed myself, rather it is a "network" of sorts by virtue of the fact that the computers share the same router on a connection to the Internet that goes to my ISP, so I don't really have a "Home network", rather a one-way line to my ISP that has a common router for all three computers in the house. I guess it is back to the thumbdrive network - not too much of a problem, just a bit of time. I did set up a separate mailbox on Gmail, so I can send mail to myself, although I can always sign on to either account from either machine, but I did want to keep them separate.

I did look at some "file-sharing" options and Dropbox was one of them, but I soon realized that I don't have enough stuff to get involved with this sort of thing and I really don't like the idea of having my files out "there" in the cloud, so to speak, but this is just me and my risk management background (LOL).

This is a bit interesting, if I cannot set up a "Homegroup" and share files this way, because the Help guy from my ISP service indicated that I could do this when he helped me setup my wireless connection to my Netbook. Go figure. Anyway, time to put this thing to bed, roderunner thanks very much for your help, it has been a valuable learning experience for me.

Regards,

Ron_M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2011-03-27 at 15:07.

Thanks
    Ron M post #7
    Networking is a very very perplexing problem. My Desktop is running 24/7, from there, it shows I can access my Desktop Network. Why would I want to access my Desktop Network when already using it. Same on Laptop. BUT, back to my desktop, it shows my Laptop which is only 'On' if being used.
    Apologies for adding to your confusion. RR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well then, I guess I am up the line without a connection to paraphrase an old saying. The network that I am referring is not a network that I have installed myself, rather it is a "network" of sorts by virtue of the fact that the computers share the same router on a connection to the Internet that goes to my ISP, so I don't really have a "Home network", rather a one-way line to my ISP that has a common router for all three computers in the house. I guess it is back to the thumbdrive network - not too much of a problem, just a bit of time. I did set up a separate mailbox on Gmail, so I can send mail to myself, although I can always sign on to either account from either machine, but I did want to keep them separate.

I did look at some "file-sharing" options and Dropbox was one of them, but I soon realized that I don't have enough stuff to get involved with this sort of thing and I really don't like the idea of having my files out "there" in the cloud, so to speak, but this is just me and my risk management background (LOL).

This is a bit interesting, if I cannot set up a "Homegroup" and share files this way, because the Help guy from my ISP service indicated that I could do this when he helped me setup my wireless connection to my Netbook. Go figure. Anyway, time to put this thing to bed, roderunner thanks very much for your help, it has been a valuable learning experience for me.

Regards,

Ron_M
    If you have a common router then you have a network. Unless by router you mean some sort of modem. You need both; these days routers are not much more expensive than a thumb drive. OK maybe that's an exaggeration but not much of one. It's even possible that your modem could double as a router, in which case, again, you have a network.

I could never get "homegroups" to work but if you go to computer properties and make sure the workgroup name is the same on all the machines, then just be sure one or more folders on each machine is "shared" so that the other machines can see it. You can "share" in Start, Accessories, Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer). Navigate to the folder you want to share and right-click on it. You should have the option to share that folder. Simple as that.

Thanks
    Hi Ron M
    If you still want to access your files on 'walk-about' I have another option.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ron:

You're likely to get many responses with many different ideas, all perfectly workable. Sharing folders via built-in Windows features will do the trick, but you're likely to encounter all kinds of irritating problems along the way, especially when it comes to ensuring security.

If you want to make your life as simple as possible, I strongly recommend you look into a service called Dropbox. It will create a folder on your computers called Dropbox. Any file or folder you put in it on one computer will appear on your other computer as fast as your network can push it. You can have it on as many computers as you want, and on your smartphone as well. Change a file in one place and the change will be transferred to all the other devices. Everything stays in perfect sync. It's simple and absolutely bulletproof. The best part is, it's 100% free if you keep your total files and folders to under 2 gb. Finally, you don't need your own network at all: It will work on any device that is connected to the Internet, anywhere in the world.

I've been using it for about two months and have recommended it to many friends, all of whom are delighted with it. Give it a try, here:

http://db.tt/Su2pinE

(By the way, I'm not a paid shill for the company, but if you sign up through this link, you and I both get an additional 250 mb free,)

-lee g

I have just acquired a Netbook and I would like to have it access some of the folders and files on my desk top and vice-versa. I have been told this is possible as they are on the same Home network. The desktop is "hardwired" into the network, whereas the Netbook has a wireless connection. Can someone point me to a webpage that will tell me exactly what I need to do to share folders and files between these two computers. Alternatively, if it is a rather simple operation, then can anyone let me know how it works (point form). Any insight or assistance that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am delighted with "Drop Box". Everything keeps in sync and not only able to access the files from anywhere, it serves as a back up. I'm not ready to put my banking information there, but I think that too would be OK.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawboss View Post
    I too am delighted with "Drop Box". Everything keeps in sync and not only able to access the files from anywhere, it serves as a back up. I'm not ready to put my banking information there, but I think that too would be OK.
    I'm not worried about security with Dropbox, as I haven't heard of any breaches, but I do worry a little about file integrity. I put my Quicken data files on it and tried to access them from different computers for a few weeks. They ended up getting out of whack so I went back to manually syncing the machines for those files. Might have had to do with the fact that Quicken files are immediately updated every time a transaction is entered or updated. It's possible that this level of activity overwhelmed Dropbox. Other than that, I haven't had any problems with it at all.